Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Science Chapter 5 Lesson 1
Transcript of Science Chapter 5 Lesson 1
Heredity: The passing of traits from parents to
Genetics: The study of how traits are passed from parents to offspring.
Dominant Trait: A genetic factor that blocks another genetic factor.
Recessive Traits: A genetic factor that is blocked by the presence of a dominant factor.
1. Distinguish between heredity and genetics.
2. Define the terms dominant and recessive.
3. Use the term recessive in a complete sentence.
4. A recessive trait is observed when an organism has _______ recessive genetic factor (s).
5. Summarize Mendel's conclusions about how traits pass from parents to offspring.
6. Describe how Mendel cross-pollinated pea plants.
7. Suppose the two true-breeding plants shown below were crossed.What color would the flowers of the offspring be? Explain.
8. Design an experiment to test for true-breeding plants.
9. Examine how Mendel's conclusions disprove blending inheritance.
10. A cross between two pink camellia plants produced the following offspring: 7 plants with red flowers, 7 with white flowers, and 14 with pink flowers. What is the ratio of red to white to pink?
Answer 1. Heredity: the passing of traits from parents to offspring
Genetics: the study of how traits are passed from parents to offspring.
Answer 2. Dominant: a genetic factor that blocks another genetic factor.
Recessive: a genetic factor that is blocked by the presence of a dominant factor.
Answer 3. A recessive is a genetic factor that is blocked by the presence of a dominant trait.
Answer 4. A recessive trait is observed when an organism has 1 recessive genetic factor(s).
Answer 5. After analyzing the results of his experiments, Mendel concluded that two genetic factors control each inherited trait. He also proposed that when organism reproduce, each reproductive cell-sperm or egg-contributes one factor for each trait.
Answer 6. Once Mendel had enough true-breeding plants for a trait that he wanted to test, he cross-pollinated selected plants.
Answer 7. The color of the offspring if they crossed would be a light rose-pink color.
Answer 8. Put the offspring in a clear cup of water then wait for 24 hours and the natural color will bloom.
Answer 9. Mendel's conclusion didn't focus mostly on the bleeding inhiretance.
Answer 10. The colors cross combined.