Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of The Renaissance
It began in Italy because of important cities, wealth, and inspiration from reminders of classical Rome
The class of merchants and bankers made the cities wealthy with increased trade
They strongly believed in the idea of individual achievement
Changes that we associate with the Renaissance first occurred in Florence
The city's economy and its writers, painters, architects, and philosophers all made Florence a model of Renaissance culture
Humanists were inspired by the architecture and ruins of Classical Rome
Ancient or Classical Rome
Ancient or Classical Greece
Greco Roman Culture: Blending of Greek and Roman Cultural influences
Art in the Renaissance
Leonardo da Vinci
In the Middle Ages, the emphasis had been on mostly spiritual or religious values.
Renaissance thinkers stressed secular or worldly ideas
A Humanist was someone who focused on the human potential and achievements
They had a deep interest in what people have already achieved as well as what they could achieve in the future
Very focused on creating symbols of Christian concepts/values
Not concerned with realism
Very focused on realism--on portraying things as they look
Not as focused on religion
Often depicted everyday life
Used light and shadow
Although, I am sure today she would have been painted like this...
3 Fun Facts about the Mona Lisa:
1. The name of the painting, Mona Lisa was the result of a spelling error! The original name of the painting was Monna Lisa. Monna in Italian is a short form of Madonna, meaning 'My Lady'.
2. The identity of the woman in the painting is still a mystery. Some believe that it is the female form of Leonardo Da Vinci himself. Most popular belief is that the woman was Lisa Gherardini, who was 24-years-old and a mother of two sons.
3. She has no eyebrows- two theories: they were accidentally removed when the painting was restore or da Vinci was a perfectionist and did not complete it before his death
Disclaimer: these cats are not on the Sistine Chapel