Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Auteur Study: Baz Luhrmann
Transcript of Auteur Study: Baz Luhrmann
BAZ LUHRMANN AUTEUR
- Born in Sydney in 1962
- Fascinated by movies and
- Wanted to pursue a career in acting, attending National Institute of Dramatic Arts
- Won role in 'Winter Of Our Dreams'
- Gained 'Baz' as a nickname and changed his name to 'Bazmark' in 1979
- Wrote and staged 30 minute version of 'Strictly Ballroom' (1986)
Difficult Love - Strictly Ballroom
Difficult Love - Romeo and Juliet
Difficult Love - Moulin Rouge!
Romeo and Juliet
The Great Gatsby
-Baz Luhrmann and his wife Catherine Martin have worked on all of his films together
- Together they created the company 'Bazmark Inq'
- Baz Luhrmann has also worked with editor, Jill Bilcock on all of his films
- All produced by 20th Century Fox
- Makes stories with worldwide appeal but stays loyal to his background
- Convinced 20th Century Fox to build a studio here.
- Influenced by his theatre background
- Approached by many studios looking to finance his next film
-Fox was only studio that allowed him to maintain artistic independance
"Luhrmann has a first look deal with Twentieth Century Fox that preserves his creative autonomy."
- Fincina Hopgood
- Baz likes to discuss with the studio and listen to their views but finally follows his own instincts.
- Fox take care of the business side of things, so that he and his wife can take care of the creative process.
- His arrangement with Fox allows him extended development time.
- Favours genre of Romantic Comedy
- Visual and aesthetic style:
- Directional style:
-Fast, rapid-paced editing
-loud melodramatic acting
-bright, vibrant mise-en-scene
-popular contemporary music
- 'Red Curtain Vision'
-devised to actively promote audience participation
-to make audience aware they are watching a movie, not real life.
- Makes audience aware of outcome at start of film:
-Strictly Ballroom: Scott disregards choreography
-Romeo and Juliet: Newscast of lovers found dead
-Moulin Rouge!: Satine coughing up blood
- Fast tracking movements
- Extreme close ups
- Independant 'dare to be different' flair to re-invent old style production of Musical Theatre and Vaudeville.
- Distinctive recognisable style
- Follows a theme using
-bright and colourful costuming
-fast paced editing
-Reoccurring theme 'Difficult Love'
Bazmark Inq motto and Strictly Ballroom tagline:
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived".