Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Great Victoria Desert of Australia
Transcript of The Great Victoria Desert of Australia
The Great Victoria Desert of Australia
The Desert Biome
Part 1:Travel Information
Our biome name is the desert and we are sending you to the Great Victoria Desert of Australia. You will get there by plane. There is an airline that can take you called Viennaair. It goes to the Vienna International Airport. A form of transportation once you are there, is the public train. You can ride in the passenger cars of the luxurious Ghan Train, which has a track through the heart of Australian Deserts. You can also ride your bike along the desert trails and enjoy guided cycling routes. Another form of transportation is the Greyhound public bus, which has a route stopping in all of the towns around the desert.
The Famous Sunset
Durable clothes for hiking
Layered clothing to protect you from the sun
Light clothes, not thick fabrics because of the heat
Hiking Boots or Tennis Shoes
A lot of water! It's hot out there and you don't want to get dehydrated! It is a good idea to fill a backpack just with water when you're hiking, cycling, or doing anything very active outside.
Part 3 A:
5.Black desert oak
Part Two B:
There are many different symbiotic relationships in the desert, but two of the most common are:
1. A relationship of mutualism between desert bats and cacti. The bat drinks the nector, while pollinating the cactus at the same time. This way, both benefit.
2. A parasitic relationship is between the desert coyote and flea. The flea drinks the coyote's blood and hurts the coyote through this.
There are also predator-prey relationships in the desert, and two of the most common are:
1. A Desert Hawk eats the Desert Mouse. The Hawk is the predator and the mouse is the prey. The Hawk hunts its food, but the mouse scavenges instead.
2. Another relationship is the Coyote eating the desert Rabbit. The coyote is the predator and the rabbit is the prey. This benefits the coyote.
Here is a food web
about the desert animals
and their feeding.
Four main limiting factors in the Great Victorian Desert:
1. There is little water in the desert, and little rainfall, so it is definitely a limiting factor. The amount of life supported here is limited because of the lack of this resource.
2. Food is another limiting factor. There isn't always enough for the plants and animals, so this increases competition between species.
3. Space is also a limiting factor, because there is only so much of it in the animal's desert habitat. This limits the carrying capacity of the Great Victoria Desert.
4. Predation is a last limiting factor, because to much predation could lead to extinction of some animals, and over breeding of others.
Impacting the Ecosystem
Humans impact the Australian ecosystem more than we realize. There are three main ways that we do, two of which are bad and one that is good.
1. Irrigation is a good way we impact the desert ecosystem, and without it plants would not grow, so the animal population would go down for animals that feed on plants.
2. Hunting is a bad way we affect the ecosystem because it decreases animal population and can lead to extinction.
3.Poaching/Capturing animals is a bad way that we affect the ecosystem, because animals can die when taken from their habitats, and poaching also brings population closer to extinction.
2. Wedge tail eagle
5. Rock wallabies
The rain fall ranges from 200mm
-250mm a year. The temperature
in the summer is about 35 °C and in
the winter it is about 0 °C . The great Victoria Desert has four seasons, summer, winter, autu
Part 3 B: Native Culture
Three unique foods found in the Great Victoria Desert are:
A wild desert peach high in Vitamin C, and it is Australia's most popular fruit.
A unique, dark red berry of the Brown Pine. It grows its stone, or seed, conveniently on the outside of the fruit.
A hot and spicy leaf from a large desert shrub. It is used in cooking and making recipes.
Three unique activities to do here are:
Admire the unique landscape
of the desert while on a guided hike. Study the exquisite pink sunset that the desert is known for, and admire the strange wildlife while you treck through the desert.
Join the Bicycle Victoria
, a desert cycling organization. They offer maps, trails, information, and organized rides to your preferred length and destination.
Visit Albert Park
, in the south of the desert, and enjoy its lake, golf course, tennis court, soccer ground, track, and much more.
Most natives in this desert were not very concerned with fashion, but more so with survival and other things, so they wore little clothing. They wore/wear animal skins and fat to cover what they believed necessary. When they killed an animal, they used everything from it, including bones and skins.
Some music native to this area is folk music. It was very popular in times of the natives and is still played today. It is played on animal bone flutes, drums, and other animal-made instruments, that were hand made and unique sounding. It is sung live for an audience, and accompanies dancing around a fire, or other circles. The songs are sometimes spiritual, and people sing them in celebration, with dancing to the upbeat music.
Ghost bats are endangered because people are cutting down trees and caves are becoming non-extinct. There are about 5000 left. To help them from becoming extinct people are trying to stay away from them as much as possible. ARKIVE is and organization that is trying to help save ghost bats.
I would make a law that you cant go close to them and if you do you have to pay a $5000 fee
Technology 1/ Main Technology: Prezi
Techology 3: Youtube video