Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

The Importance of Protecting & Cleaning our Water Resources

No description
by

Kendall Ohmes

on 12 April 2018

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of The Importance of Protecting & Cleaning our Water Resources


Our Earth
The Importance of Protecting & Cleaning our Water Resources
96.5% of Earth's water is saltwater. 2.5% of Earth's water is freshwater.
Our Earth
Only about 30% of Earth's freshwater is available for human use. The other 70% is locked up in glaciers and ice caps. Over time, global warming will melt these glaciers and ice caps however it is quite a slow process.
The Importance of Freshwater
Human Importance:
Drinking Water
Crop Irrigation
Sanitation Systems
Industrial Factories
Wildlife Importance:
Habitat for many aquatic and non-aquatic organisms
Absorbs and removes pollutants from water
Regulates temperature of land and sea
Types of Water Pollution
#1 - Fertilizers: Fertilizers are an organic pollutant that causes eutrophication. Lake Erie is a prime example of a body of water that has experienced an excessive build up of nutrients.
Types of Water Pollution
Types of Water Pollution
#3 - Pharmaceuticals: These subtances can mix with other chemicals and cause harm to nearby animals and aquatic life. These also have a tendency to damage the food chain for certain animals. Studies have shown that pharmaceuticals have appeared in our drinking water. Lastly, pharmaceuticals can enter a fish's body, which then is fished for food, and is sold in stores with the pharmaceuticals in it. This leads to human consumption of these substances which is extremely sickening.
#2 - Sewage & Manure: Wastewater can cause many diseases among animals and people if consumed. Wastewater also significantly deteriorates the quality of water as it becomes highly contaminated.
Protecting/Conserving our Water
#1 -
Limiting the amount of fertilizer used
on your plants would greatly help keep our water clean. Instead, find substitutes for these toxic chemicals or use turf instead of real grass, as turf does not need fertilizer.
Protecting/Conserving our Water
#2 - A second way of conserving our water is if our communities
banned any form of hazardous waste disposal into landfills and injection wells
, the amount of manure and garbage found in our water would be significantly reduced. Wastewater harms us whether we realize it or not. Sometimes our water isn't filtered enough and it is likely that remnants of the waste have not been filtered out.
Protecting/Conserving our Water
#3 - A third way of protecting our water is by
requiring leakage detectors on underground tanks and even above ground tanks
, especially the ones that are near bodies of water. Many times certain tanks are leaking without the company even knowing, and leak detectors would cease this recurring issue.
Environmental Impact of Protecting/Conserving our Water
Out of all the benefits of protecting and conserving our water, there is probably the most regarding our environment. Safe water would protect wildlife and plants all over the world. If we prevented the oil spill from happening, the animals in the Gulf of Mexico would not have died. Keeping our water safe would prevent disruption of our food chains aswell as the further extinction of certain species.
Societal Impact of Protecting/Conserving our Water
Protecting and conserving our water definitely does not cause any harm. From a societal standpoint, if the water is safe and plentiful, general welfare is provided for the population. I know from experience that my mom gets very angry when our tap water tastes poor. She has talked to the HOA about it, and by conserving and protecting our water, the issue of people being unhappy with the water in their home would be completely eliminated.
Economical Impact of Protecting/Conserving our Water
There could potentially be economic growth for various industries who additionally invest in the conservation and protection of water. Jobs will also increase as people have the opportunity to work for conservation industries. Lastly, this prevents the risk of natural disasters (involved with water) occurring which saves loads of money since natural disasters call for millions of dollars to clean up.
By: Kendall Ohmes
Graff - Block 2AB
4/12/2018
Full transcript