Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Positive Psychology
the scientific study of human flourishing.
The Meaningful Life
Find your Strengths...
2 Victories of the Disease Model
The Good Life
flourish: develop in a healthy & vigorous way as a result of a positive environment
Virtues: behavior showing high moral standards
the study of the strengths and virtues that enable individuals, communities and organizations to thrive.
1. 14 Disorders are Treatable
2. Psychology as a Science
Problems w/ the Disease Model
1. Psychologists became victimologists
2. Forgot to improve the lives of normal people
3. did not focus on positive intervention
1. Concerned w/ Strengths
2. Build Strength
3. Improve happiness
Eudaimonia: Human flourishing
Mindfulness: the quality or state of being aware
The Pleasant Life
As many pleasures as possible
Positive Intervention #2:
VIA Survey of Character Strengths Test, Authentic Happiness
Homework: find a partner; have them take the test
Design a Strength date
Success in the pleasant life equals...
1. thinking constructively about the past
2. Gain optimism & hope in the future
3. Gain happiness in the present
Positive Intervention #3: Use mindfulness to design a beautiful day
Three Drawbacks of "The Pleasant life"
1. Happiness is Heritable
50% Genetics, 10% Circumstantial, 40% All-You
2. Positive emotion Habituates (mindfulness)
3. Not malleable
in the zone
Pleasure is raw feeling & thought
Flow feels nothing; intense concentration
...Use Your Strengths...
Cultivating the 24 strengths
The route for achieving the virtues
Talents are inherited, strengths can be developed, learned, & take effort
Embody the 6 Core Virtues (Valued across cultures)
1. Wisdom & Knowledge
6. Spirituality & Transendence
The strengths and virtues […] function against misfortune and against the psychological disorders, and they may be the key to building resilience (Seligman 2002, p. xiv).
According to Seligman
...find the flow!!
The PERMA Model
5 Sided Model of Well-Being: The PERMA Model
Meaningful Life is "using your signature strengths and virtues in the service of something much larger than you are." (Seligman 2002, p. 249).
The Science of Happiness
Most People are happy
Happiness leads to happiness
most people are resilient
Happiness, character, & positive relationships buffer against setbacks & disappointments
Crisis reveals character
happy people are social
happy people are religious
money buys happiness if it is spent on others
Heart matters more than the head; schools should teach unconditional caring
good days = autonomy, competence, & connectivity
the good life can be learned
Emotional intelligence is the ability to identify and manage your own emotions and the emotions of others. It is generally said to include 3 skills:
1. Emotional awareness, including the ability to identify your own emotions and those of others;
2. The ability to harness emotions and apply them to tasks like thinking and problems solving;
3. The ability to manage emotions, including the ability to regulate your own emotions, and the ability to cheer up or calm down another person.
What makes you miserable?
Fill up the board with things that make us miserable
Fill the board of things you would doing if you KNEW you were GOOD ENOUGH!
POSITIVE INTERVENTION #1: KINDNESS PROJECT
KINDNESS PRODUCES THE SINGLE MOST RELIABLE MOMENTARY INCREASE OF WELL-BEING THAN ANY OTHER EXERCISE THAT HAS BEEN TESTED
FIND ONE WHOLLY UNEXPECTED KIND THING TO DO TONIGHT/TOMORROW AND DO IT
WRITE A 1 PAGE REFLECTION ON YOUR EXPERIENCE