Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Direct Method
- Translation is completely banished
- Writing and Reading are taught from the
beginning but through practice with speaking
- Also Pronunciation should be worked on right
from the beginning
- Grammar is taught inductively (students
fill in the blanks with grammar forms practiced
in the lessons)
- Objects (realia, pictures) present in the
immediate classroom environment
- Teacher should demonstrate not explain or
- Learning another language also involves
learning how speakers of that language live
(behavior and cultural values) The Grammar
Translation Method Laura TECHNIQUES
- Reading Aloud Teacher makes sure students understand Question and Answer Exercise In full sentences with new words and grammar structures Getting Students to Self-correct "I have be running for two hours now" "After two hours, I'm still running" OR "I wanted to go home early last night, but I never see you" "I wanted to go home early last night, but I never see you?" Conversation Practice Students must understand questions to be able to answer correctly With particular grammar structure, students ask each other their own Fill-in-the-blank Exercise Induce grammar from examples and practice No explicit grammar rule would be applied DICTATION Reads the passage at a normal speed (listen)
Reads it phrase by phrase (write down)
Reads it at normal speed (check their work) Florida Washington Canada Pacific Ocean To give students listening comprehension practice Students should be able to label the map if they follow instructions correctly Paragraph Writing Students write paragraphs in their own words
They can do it from memory or using a reading
passage in the lesson MAP DRAWING Thank you Juan, I can now SPEAK English!!! Laura Students take turns reading a passage out loud