Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Sexual Orientation
What is sexual orientation?
- The American Psychological Association (APA) defines it as an "enduring pattern of emotional, romantic, and/or sexual attractions to men, women, or both sexes."
1973 the American Psychiatric Association classified it as a mental illness
-DNA marker (Xq28)
Same hormonal levels as Heterosexuals
: The realization that they are sexually attracted to same-sex individuals
: Exploration and experimentation as they determine whether they are LGBTQ
: They identify themselves with a label
: When they feel comfortable with their sexual identity, they come out to others
Coming out and claiming one's sexual identity is a critical step in developing a positive identity.
What Does LGBTQ
Race, Ethnicity, and Religion
Some religious groups have identified homosexuality as a sin or disease.
Activists try to push people into attending programs to try and make them "normal" again.
When heterosexism exists, intolerance and exclusion of LQBTQ members happens.
Multiracial, African American, and Asian LGBTQ students are more likely to be harassed.
LGBT students face violence,bias, and harassment in schools
Students feel unsafe and sometimes don't go to school
-15% of teachers intervene when students make homophobic remarks
Students perceived to be gay are also targets
LGBTQ Early Years
Age and self identification
LGBT in the schools and how it corresponds with academic performance
Crucial for teachers to be supportive
1. What is Transgender?
a. a person who cross-dresses
b. a person having a psychological sense of being the gender that doesn't match their gene sex
c. a person who surgically alters one's sex to match their gender identity
d. all the above
2. Which group is more likely to feel unsafe because of their race or ethnicity?
a. Multiracial Individuals
b. African Americans
c. Asian/Pacific Islanders
d. All the above
4. What DNA marker did Dean Hamer find?
3. What percentage of teachers interven when students make homophobic remarks toward other students?
Our sense of sexuality or sexual orientation identity is based on:
Connection with others with the same orientation