Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Bouchard Twin Study- University of Minnesota, 1990
Transcript of Bouchard Twin Study- University of Minnesota, 1990
influence your personal
psychological qualities? Theory If two identical people were tested, then they could be measured for similarities in their behavioral and personalty characteristics. Identical Twins Identical twins virtually share the same genetic structure because they come from a single egg. Twins separated at birth would have the same genetic makeup (nature) but a different environment (nurture) Participants MZA=Monozygotic Rear Apart -Identical Twins who were separated at birth
-This would determine if environment played a roll in psychological qualities MZT= Monozygotic Reared Together -Identical Twins raised together since birth
- This would serve as standard of comparison Procedure Twins were issued over 50 hours of tests to determine similarities between the HZA and HZT IQ Tests Personality Test Belongings Inventory Job Interest Inventory Family Environment Survey Sexual History Interview Psychiatric Interview Life History Interview Physical Health Assessment Surveys Results Conclusion 1. - HZA twins were found to be almost identical, not only in appearance but psychologically and in their personality -Environment was barely a factor Genetics influence who a child grows up to be more than environment does 2. Intelligence is 70% determinded by genetics, 30% is subject to change by environment 3. People's genetic tendencies mold thier enivornment Significance 1.Determined the roll of genetics in psychological behaviors 2.Allow for further studies to be conducted on the roll of genes in love, divorce and death 3.Personalities and Intelligence can only be manipulated by a small margin Critics of Bouchard's Study "Any two people who shared age, sex, ethnicity and social status would have a lot in common" -Joseph,2001 Personalty tests might be clouded if the twins had been reunited before the study 4.Shifted scientific thinking towards a greater understanding of genetic influences Identical twins shared a similar, very important environment for 9 months: the womb Resources
Myers, David G. Psychology: Seventh Edition in Modules. 7th ed. N.p.: Catherine Woods, n.d. Print.
Hock, Roger R. Forty Studies That Changed Psychology. 5th ed. N.p.:. Print.