Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Rockets
A rocket moves forward when gases expelled from the rear of the rocket push it in the opposite direction -
this uses Newton's Third Law of Motion (action/reaction)
Early rockets, built by the Chinese around the year 1000, used gun powder as fuel. But gun powder burnt too quickly and explosively.
But multistage rockets allowed multiple parts to be ignited that would boost the rocket forward & upward.
Robert H. Goddard
Born in the US (1882-1945)
Started experimenting with liquid fuels
Demonstrated that a liquid fuel can provide continuous power - 1926 rocket launch
Early Rockets - Russia
In 1898, a Russian schoolteacher, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky (1857-1935), proposed the idea of space exploration by rocket. Tsiolkovsky suggested the use of liquid propellants for rockets in order to achieve greater range.
Tsiolkovsky stated that the speed and range of a rocket were limited only by the exhaust velocity of escaping gases.
What did the US do?
2.The development of powerful multistage rockets in the 1950's and 1960's made it possible to send rockets to the moon and further into space. 3. The first of these types of rockets was the Saturn V
The launch of Sputnik
1. Sputnik was the first artificial satellite to be put into Earth's orbit
It was launched by the Soviet Union on October 4, 1957..
it went around Earth every 96 minutes
) The launch of Sputnik ushered in new political, military, technological, and scientific developments. 4.
While the Sputnik launch was a single event, it marked the start of the Space Age.
The Space Race - What did the US do?
Once Russia launched Sputnik...the race to outer space was
1.The United States did
NOT want to be left out
so NASA sent up Explorer 1 three months later
Who was first into space??
On April 12, 1961, Yuri Gagarin orbited Earth, becoming the first person in space.
Since 1957, thousands of artificial satellites, including space stations have been launched into orbit. 1. Satellites and space stations are used for communications, navigation, collecting weather data and research.
2. In 1973, the Space Station was launched. This space station allows for humans to live for long periods. 3. In 1986, Russia launched the MIR space station. Today multiple countries have contributed to the building and maintaining of the International Space Station.