Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of NEWS VALUES
1. Which are the hard news stories?
2. Which are features?
3. Which is an opinion piece?
5. How do opinion; hard news; features; editorials differ?
6. How are they similar?
DIFFERENT SECTIONS OF A NEWSPAPER
- hard news stories; straight forward
- answers the 5 Ws; nut graf
Why is this a story?
Impact: it affects readers
Helpfulness: helps people cope
Entertainment: makes people feel good
Inspiration: stories of people who have overcome difficulties
Special Interest: sub cultures, minorities
The “so what” element
Make the reader see. Make the reader care.
Don’t turn in a story you wouldn’t read
Something changed e.g. a rising trend
- a new policy
- impact and implications for people
- controversial in terms of freedom; human rights; moral values
Higher news value if you know Robin Williams
If you are a Caucasian male
Depression may be relevant to the general public
Written for the Washington Post
- a follow up
- in depth; plenty of background
- truthful; fair
- critical; the stance of the newspaper
- not necessarily fair
- a good argument
- guests or columnists
- sometimes reinforce the beliefs of the paper's owners
- balanced judgement of e.g. a consumer product ( books; restaurants; movies
ALL truthful, attributed,
valid and sound arguments
i.e. the premise leads to the conclusion AND supported by FACTUAL evidence
Is this a story?
Timeliness: why are you telling me this now?
Proximity: happens close to home
Unusual: something bizarre or rare
Celebrities: they attract attention - good and bad
Human Interest: people with special problems, achievements or experiments
Conflict: between people and governments or other people
It's your job to make them care!
OBJECTIVE, TRUTHFUL, FAIR
IS IT A STORY?