Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Catherine, Called Birdy - Day 12 (May)
Transcript of Catherine, Called Birdy - Day 12 (May)
by Karen Cushman
Catherine, Called Birdy
repulsive, causing disgust
annoy, bother; cause of irritation
money, goods, or estate that a woman brings to her husband in marriage
to roar, yell
using language clearly or effectively showing feeling or meaning; forceful and fluent expression
gloomy state of mind, depression
to approve or agree
to consider carefully
to be successful; prosper
1. What makes one person in society more valuable than another?
2. How does humor help people in life?
3. How were women's lives different from men's lives in the medieval times?
Catherine, Called Birdy
1. Describe the ways people during the Middle Ages celebrated May Day.
2. Compare the way Perkin handles Catherine to the way Lord Rollo handles her. Why is one more successful than the other?
3. What are some "lady lessons" Catherine is forced to learn?
4. Is Odd William a suitable name for the character? Give evidence to support your conclusion.
2. Perkin uses reverse psychology. If he wants her to do something, he asks her to do the opposite. Catherine's father yells and punishes her as he insists she do as he says. Perkin's way is more successful because Catherine is so contrary- she usually does the opposite of what she's told to do.
Catherine is determined not to wed Shaggy Beard.
1. Trees were decorated with flowers and ribbons. People danced around the tree. They chose a king and queen of May. There were games, athletic contests, feasts, and dancing.
Birdy and Perkin have a trusting friendship. They get in and out of trouble together. They depend on each other.
Catherine despises her father because he is greedy and insensible. He is selfish and insensitive.
Catherine's mother is considerate of Catherine's feelings and tries to redirect her behavior.
Morwenna orders Catherine around and disciplines her often. She is strict with Catherine.
Catherine admires and trusts her brother, Edward. She shares her thoughts and ideas with him. She follows his advice.
Catherine thinks Robert is abominable. He pesters and annoys her.
Catherine admires her Uncle George. She enjoys listening to his stories which are full of adventure. She enjoys her uncle's company and attention.
3. Some of the lessons are to walk erect with dignity, to look straight ahead with eyelids low, to walk correctly, not to laugh or chatter, to sit properly, to hide an unattractive smile, to have the right amount of humility, to have good temperment, not to overeat or drink, and not to swear.
4. Answers will vary.
I think Odd William is/is not an appropriate name because ...