Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
World War 1 Events Timeline
Transcript of World War 1 Events Timeline
The event that sparked the outbreak of World War I, Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the heir to the Austro-Hungarian Empire, is shot to death along with his wife by a Serbian nationalist in Sarajevo, Bosnia. Which caused Austria to declare war on Serbia and other countries to declare war as well:
- Germany: declares war on Russia & France
- Great Britain: declares war on Germany
- Turkey: enters war on Germany's side
Assassination of Archduke Ferdinand
During World War I, Britain suffers its first casualties from an air attack when two German zeppelins drop bombs on Great Yarmouth and King's Lynn on the eastern coast of England.
Later in 1915:
-The “Lusitania” was sunk by a German U-boat
-Italy declared war on Germany and Austria
-Start of the Battle of Loos
The Battle of Verdun was the longest battle of World War I and was one of the bloodiest.
Also during 1916:
•May 31 - The Battle of Jutland, the major naval battle of the war, begins.
•July 1 - The Battle of the Somme begins. During the Battle of the Somme, tanks are first introduced into battle.
Reasons the US joined the War
1. Unrestricted submarine warfare: sinking of the Lusitania (1915)
2. American Propaganda
3. German Dictatorship - "Make the World safe for Democracy." - Cultural ties
4. U.S. Business Interests - US trade w/ the allies increased from 825 million in 1914 to 3.2 billion in 1916.
5. Zimmerman Letter - Germany asked Mexico to enter the war against the US but the note was intercepted
The Treaty of Versailles, was the peace settlement between Germany and the Allied Powers that officially ended World War I. The details of the Versailles Treaty had been debated and finalized at the Paris Peace Conference. Although many diplomats from the Allied Powers participated, Germany was not invited to the conference. The treaty in many ways was meant to punish Germany and they had complaints of course but it was eventually signed.
The Battle of Verdun begins.
Treaty of Versailles officially ends WWI
First Zeppelin Raid on Britain
By: Monica Abouelsaad
- U.S. President Woodrow Wilson issues his Fourteen Points to peace.
-Wilson's Fourteen Points became the basis for a peace programme and it was on the back of the Fourteen Points that Germany and her allies agreed to an armistice in November 1918.
USA declares war on Germany