Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Immigration Reform
- Arriving Aliens
Who are "Non-Immigrants"?
July 4, 2013
University of St. Thomas
Floor of Refuge
Who is on the Floor
Asylees and Refugees
Victims of Crime & Domestic Violence
Temporary Protected Status
[Hold this space. . .]
Persons Seeking Admission
What is the existing system?
What changes are being proposed?
What can you do?
Spouses & Children of US Citizens (NO Waiting list)
Unmarried Sons/Daughters of USC
Spouses and Children of Residents
Married Sons/Daughters of US citizens
Siblings of US Citizens
FAMILY GREEN CARDS
EMPLOYMENT GREEN CARDS
"Certain Special Immigrants"
PROPOSED EMPLOYMENT SYSTEM
Two tiered Point Based System
- Skilled and Less Skilled
- Education, employment, family, occupation, English ability, age, nationality
MORE GREEN CARD CHANGES
- Clear the backlog of cases in 7 years
- Then allow "Registered Permanent Immigrants" to get Green Cards
Wait for it. . . .
Border Security on Steroids
What Can You Do?
Paul and the Roman Centurion
19,000 Border Agents
Lots more fencing & surveillance
More prosecutions of illegal crossings
Drones, drones and more drones
"Militarizing the Border"
Asylum procedures improvements
Protections for kids and mentally ill
Expanded protections for workers
Entry-Exit Controls boosted
Harsher Employer Sanctions
Expanded Inadmissibility Grounds
Reduces barriers to family reunification
Group identification of refugees
Anti-smuggling and trafficking measures
New "W" Visa for unskilled workers
Who are Citizens?
Acts 22: The Roman Centurion & Paul