Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Immigration Reform
- Arriving Aliens
Who are "Non-Immigrants"?
July 4, 2013
University of St. Thomas
Floor of Refuge
Who is on the Floor
Asylees and Refugees
Victims of Crime & Domestic Violence
Temporary Protected Status
[Hold this space. . .]
Persons Seeking Admission
What is the existing system?
What changes are being proposed?
What can you do?
Spouses & Children of US Citizens (NO Waiting list)
Unmarried Sons/Daughters of USC
Spouses and Children of Residents
Married Sons/Daughters of US citizens
Siblings of US Citizens
FAMILY GREEN CARDS
EMPLOYMENT GREEN CARDS
"Certain Special Immigrants"
PROPOSED EMPLOYMENT SYSTEM
Two tiered Point Based System
- Skilled and Less Skilled
- Education, employment, family, occupation, English ability, age, nationality
MORE GREEN CARD CHANGES
- Clear the backlog of cases in 7 years
- Then allow "Registered Permanent Immigrants" to get Green Cards
Wait for it. . . .
Border Security on Steroids
What Can You Do?
Paul and the Roman Centurion
19,000 Border Agents
Lots more fencing & surveillance
More prosecutions of illegal crossings
Drones, drones and more drones
"Militarizing the Border"
Asylum procedures improvements
Protections for kids and mentally ill
Expanded protections for workers
Entry-Exit Controls boosted
Harsher Employer Sanctions
Expanded Inadmissibility Grounds
Reduces barriers to family reunification
Group identification of refugees
Anti-smuggling and trafficking measures
New "W" Visa for unskilled workers
Who are Citizens?
Acts 22: The Roman Centurion & Paul