Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
What Effect Does Music Have On Plant Growth?
Transcript of What Effect Does Music Have On Plant Growth?
Because classical music has a harmonic frequency it is believed that the vibrations created by the music are responsible for positive plant growth.
The materials used for this experiment:
- 1 packet of radish seeds (radishes take 3-5 days to
- 3 terracotta pots
- Soil for the 3 pots
- 2x I-Pods/I-Phones
- 1x Classical music CD
- 1x Dubstep music CD
- Tap water
- Rule • The same amount of seeds were planted in in each pot.
• They were labeled, one with classical, one with dubstep, and one with no music
(the control test).
• They were all put in separate areas in a room and the dubstep music was
played to the dubstep plant, the classical music was played to the classical
plant and the control was left with no exposure to music.
• The dubstep and the classical music was played to the germinating seeds
for 8 hours each day at the same time at the same volume.
• The plants were watered daily and results recorded for two weeks in mm. In the first week Dubstep Classical Control Research shows us that: Sound is vibration that travels through air.
Sound vibrations come in a wide range of frequencies.
The audio range which extends up to 20,000 vibrations per second (CPS – cycles per second) include frequencies that people can hear.
When the frequency of sound extends beyond our normal hearing limits, we have ultrasound.
With the development of electronic oscillators (e.g. Radio) scientists were able to experiment with ultrasonic plant growth acceleration.
Scientists discovered that the effect only becomes noticeable at higher frequencies above 20,000 CPS and the benefit increased up to 50,000 CPS.
It is not exactly clear why ultrasound stimulates plant growth however, evidence seems to support the theory that the sound acts as a catalyst, activating the production of plant hormones called auxins that can stimulate plant growth.
Research shows us that different music has influence on plant growth because not all music has the same frequency. The hypothesis holds true: playing music to plants makes them grow more quickly.
However, the hypothesis for classical music did not hold true because dubstep had a better effect on plant growth compared to classical music.
Dubstep is a new genre of music that has a high frequency (138-142 beats per second). Generally higher than classical music. It also incorporates a variety of different music like techno, basic channel, classical, pop and heavy metal.
Research shown that plants can respond to sound waves, stimuli and different
frequencies. The music with a higher frequency (dubstep) produced better results in this
experiment even though classical music is
more harmonious. DUBSTEP MUSIC It was observed that the average height and growth rate of the radish plants that received dubstep and classical music stimuli grew faster than the control plant that received no music stimulus. The seeds in the dubstep pot were also able to germinate a day earlier.
It was also interesting to note that although only two seeds were planted in each pot the dubstep pot germinated three seeds. The classical music pot only germinated one seed. CLASSICAL MUSIC