Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

C

No description
by

Katie Lacy

on 11 September 2017

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of C

Why China is Overflowing with Discarded Clothes
"As the world’s largest producer, consumer, and exporter of textiles, China is responsible for a staggering quantity of textile waste. Every year, Chinese families throw away approximately 26 million tons of clothing, and the nation’s accumulation of textile waste amounts to nearly 100 million tons."
✳✱*
Impact on Fashion Industry
Continued
"China lags far behind Western nations such as the United States, where the textile reutilization rate is around 15 percent."

CHINA
By Chloe Dolores and Katie Lacy
Rivers and waterways are being poisoned by the textile industry with hazardous chemical waste.

The Impact of Fast Fashion:
Is it worth it?
"In parts of China, farmers are predicting the colour of the next fashion season by the colour of their rivers due to run-off from the textile industry."
If consumption continues at its current rate, we’ll need three times as many natural resources by 2050 compared to what we used in 2000.



Initiative is taking place to step up and take responsibility.
Many companies, like H&M and Patagonia, are calling to recycle clothes. Others are asking to return to slow fashion (produce less) in their business model

Consumers must realize value and quality over consumption


Low-cost, low-quality garments mean we are buying and disposing of more clothing than ever.
- It now takes less than a week to get a design manufactured overseas and onto a shop floor.

Two Statistics:
1. A woman wears a garment of clothing on the average of only 7 times before getting rid of it.
2. The average woman wears only 40% of her wardrobe, while the other 60% is ready to be given away or tossed to a landfill.
According to this article, China is facing a deficit in raw materials that could be solved by recycling used garments. This initiative would improve China both economically and environmentally.
Impact
Manufacturers commit to 'Made in China 2025' plan by transforming, upgrading industry with smart technology
"In 2016, Qingdao-based tire manufacturer Doublestar Group created the first industrial 4.0 intelligent plant in the world."

"The local government of the West Coast New Area has also been committed to bringing in advanced technology from foreign countries like Germany, exemplifying its strong commitments to the "Made in China 2025" plan, which aims to upgrade the manufacturing industry."


Improving on manufacturing technology can improve retail manufacturing cost, time, and product effectiveness. This could cause businesses around the world to keep or move their manufacturing sites to China.
Sources
https://international.thenewslens.com/article/77795

http://www.ecns.cn/business/2017/08-29/271188.shtml

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-28/the-price-of-fast-fashion-rivers-turn-blue-tonnes-in-landfill/8389156
What is being done?
Fast fashion: Rivers turning blue and 500,000 tonnes in landfill - March 2017
Is it Worth it?
THANK YOU! QUESTIONS?
Clothing made from polyester, which is essentially a plastic, takes up to 200 years to breakdown in landfill.

A natural fiber like cotton or wool can biodegrade and compost, but actually landfill is not the right conditions for compost. Wool leaks a type of ammonia in landfill,
Full transcript