Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
1979 Mississauga Train Derailment
Transcript of 1979 Mississauga Train Derailment
Massive explosion set it off (Propane)
1,500 meters into the sky
Could be seen from 100 km away
Explosion and Evacuation
-Residents evacuated and taken to reception centres (Due to possible deadly chlorine gas spreading through Mississauga)
-Given food and shelter
-Residents returned home on
Fun Facts and Who
- Largest evacuation in North America at the time
- 200,000 people evacuated
- Mississauga T.D. - 10 minutes away
- No deaths
Thanks for Listening!!!!!!!!
Mississauga- empty until clean up
Mississauga - opened on nov. 16th 1979
nov. 19th 1979
influence other cities
How did it happen?
-heat built up in 33rd car due to wheel
-wheel set also fell off (lack of lubrication)
-residents reported smoke and fire
-resulting in a "hot box"
-train derailed and explosives followed
- Saturday, November 10,1979
- 106 car Canadian Pacific freight train derailed
-carried explosives and poisonous chemicals
- Smoke built up then wheels fell
-more than 200 000 people evacuated
this is a picture of...
Unhooked the remaining cars from the flaming ones
Inducted into the North American Railway Hall of Fame in 2012
- $10,000,000 to clear up (chlorine, trains, layer of ice, chemicals )
- people who checked on wheel statuses
- one thing leads to another
- done well
-workers worked hard to clear up
-chlorine started to leak again