Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Pope Urban II
Transcript of Pope Urban II
- Recaptured Jerusalem from the Muslims Roman Catholic Pope
-1088 to 1099 Accomplishments Launched First Crusades
- Brought reforms to Church
- Liberation of Jerusalem Created Council of Clermont Born Odo of Chatillon-Sur Marne in Northeastern France into a Noble family
-cerca 1042 Modeled his government on that of a French Court (European Monarchy) Remodeled the papal financial system People associated with- The Priest John of Gaeta- His Secrectary Pope's adviser- Gregory VII St. Bruno- Teacher Spanish Rulers Normans Difficulties Trying to persuade all of the knights to join the crusade
Exile on the Island of St. Bartholomew
Capturing Jerusalem from Muslims Byzantine Emperor- Alexis I Anti-pope Clement III Anti-Pope Clement III Interesting things about Pope Urban II Speech at Clermont was one of the most famous speeches of the middle ages Beatified in 1881 by Pope Leo XIII Was never married
No kids Speech at Clermont: Persuaded everyone to join crusades
"God wills it."
"take the cross" (pledge to go on crusade) in large numbers. Death July 29, 1099 in Rome, Italy
14 days after the recapture of Jerusalem
Didn't know he recaptured Jerusalem
Was Pope for 11 years the end