Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Muskego-Norway Student Engagement - June 2013
Transcript of Muskego-Norway Student Engagement - June 2013
June 25, 2013
Inquiry Based Learning
Project Based Learning
Self Directed Learning
A New Learning Revolution
Gamify Your Classroom
Three Rules to Spark Learning
What Motivates Us
Motivation and Creativity
http://georgecouros.ca/blog/archives/3544 - Less time teaching, more time learning
As the cost of coordinating learning resources and convening learning communities decline rapidly, diverse and flexible forms of hyper focused schools will multiply.
Middle school students learn through play, making and discovering and inquiry and interest driven design with each student charting his or her own unique journey through school year from an ADVENTURE MAP.
Creates personalized mini course for students with expert teachers assembling videos for students.
Helps users understand the skills needed for specific roles and careers and learn informally, and then prove mastery.
1. As a learner I have the right to allow my own experience and enthusiasm to guide my learning.
2. As a learner I have the right to choose and direct the nature and conditions of my learning experience. As a learner I am responsible for the results I create.
3. As a learner I have the right to perfect the skills to be a conscious, self confident and resourceful individual.
4. As a learner I have the right to be held in respect. It is my responsibility to hold others in respect.
5. As a learner I have the right to a nurturing and supportive family and community. My family and community have the right and responsibility to be my primary resource.
6. As a learner I have the right and responsibility to enter into relationships based on mutual choice, collaborative effort, challenge and mutual gain.
Declaration of Learner’s
Rights and Responsibilities
7. As a learner I have the right to be exposed to a diverse array of ideas, experiences, environments, and possibilities. This exposure is the responsibility of myself, my parents and my mentors.
8. As a learner I have the right to evaluate my learning according to my own sensibilities. I have the right to request and the responsibility to include the evaluations of my mentors.
9. As a learner I have the right to co-create decisions that involve and concern me.
10. As a learner I have the right and responsibility to openly consider and respect the ideas of others, whether or not I accept these ideas.
11. As a learner I have the right to enter a learning organization which offers, spiritual, intellectual, emotional, and physical support, and operates in an open and inclusive manner.
12. As a learner I have the right of equal access to resources, information and funding.
This document was created by a group of individuals (ages 15-17) Serena Staples, Gregory Dean, Ilana Cameron,
David Muncaster, Jesse Blum and Sarah Partridge, with the help of Brent Cameron and other SelfDesign mentors.
© 2011 All Rights Reserved SelfDesign Learning Foundation
Things You Need to Know Today
Transforming Instructional Tools
1. Content is presented at a pace that is at the proximal level of difficulty for the student
2. Instruction/learning activities respond to the student’s preferred learning modality, unless
development of alternate learning modalities is the purpose of the learning.
3. Feedback occurs in rapid cycles, is objective, actionable, connected to learning goals and suggests
the next step in the learning process
4. Ownership for learning is built into each student’s learning path
5. Learning goals are rigorous, but achievable and specific to the student
6. Voice/input of the student is a key element in planning and presentation of instruction and
7. Individual interests of students are tapped to increase engagement and leverage prior learning
8. Engagement is treated as a precursor to learning and key element in maintaining learning progress
9. Unique learning paths are constructed in response to the needs, progress and next level of learning
for each learner
10. Development of self-efficacy/agency is integrated into each student’s learning path
Characteristics of Personalized Learning
Ely’s Condition of Change
"Teaching consists of causing people to go into situations
from which they cannot escape, except by thinking. Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy."
Robert Heinlein (1973)