Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
MGMT 3301 Ch 1
Transcript of MGMT 3301 Ch 1
Dr. Laura Guerrero
What is a manager?
What does a manager do?
Why do we need managers in organizations?
Levels of managers – what do they do at each level?
What should they not do?
Accountability - The requirement of one person to answer to a higher authority for performance achieved in his or her area of work responsibility.
Effective Managers meet both performance and satisfaction goals.
Performance relates to achieving organizational goals
Satisfaction relates to QWL (quality of work life)
FUNCTIONS OF MANAGEMENT
(1) planning AND organizing
(2) leading AND controlling
BUSY MANAGERS USE
(3) agenda setting
(5) social capital
figurehead, leader, liaison
monitor, disseminator, spokesperson
entrepreneur, disturbance handler, resource allocator, negotiator
Management skills – technical skills, human skills, conceptual skills
Which skills are important at each level of management?
Explain ISSUES IN MANAGEMENT:
(2) ethics and corporate governance
(4) talent and free-agent economy
(5) intellectual capital and self-management