Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
STRUCTURE OF SUBJECT MATTER CONTENT
Transcript of STRUCTURE OF SUBJECT MATTER CONTENT
THE STRUCTURE OF SUBJECT MATTER CONTENT
*an idea or action that can be verified
* basic unit of subject matter content
* a categorization of events, places, ideas
*the relationship between and among facts and concepts
the no. of children in the family is related to the average scores on nationally standardized achievement test for those children
*educated guesses about relationships (principles)
example: for lower division undergraduate students, study habits is a better predictor of success in a college course than a is a measure intelligence or reading comprehension
*set of facts, concepts and principles that describe possible underlying unobservable mechanism that regulate human learning development
*firmly established, thoroughly tested principle or theory
A. MANIPULATIVE SKILLS
*courses that are dominantly skill-oriented like
-Home Economics and Technology
*focusing the microscope, mixing chemicals, etc.
1. Divergent Thinking
2. Convergent Thinking
3. Problem Solving
4. Metaphoric Thinking
5. Critical Thinking
6. Creative Thinking
*rapid generation of ideas
*thinking of the most possible ideas
*variety of thoughts in the kinds of ideas generated
*flexible thinkers have different ideas from those usually presented
*the ability to produce new novel and unique ideas
The light bulb was invented in 1809 by Humphrey Davy, an English chemist (not Thomas Edison, who often gets the credit). Unfortunately, it was not very practical. What Edison then did do was invent a carbon filament that burned for up to 40 hours – a good bit longer than the one invented a year earlier that burned for only around 13. It is said that Edison tried and failed over 2000 times before finally perfecting the filament, showing that persistence as much as original thinking can turn a great idea into brilliant application.
*embellishes on previous ideas or plan
*it uses prior knowledge to expand and add upon things and ideas
it is the narrowing down from many possible thoughts to end up on a single best thought or an answer to a problem
Problem solving is made easier when the problem is well-defined
"The proper definition of a problem is already half the solution."
1. break large problems into well-defined ones
2. distinguish information needed
3. identify techniques to find needed information
- general-problem solving strategy
-informal, intuitive, speculative strategies that sometimes
lead to an effective solution and sometimes do not
uses analogical thinking, a figure of speech where a word is used in a manner different from its ordinary designation to suggest or imply a parallelism or similarity
TEACHING IS LIGHTING A CANDLE.
it involves evaluating information or arguments in terms of their accuracy and worth.
- evaluating the reliability and the truth of advertisements
- evaluating the persuasive techniques in oral or written language
- discriminating between reasons that do and do not support a particular conclusion
The ground is wet so
it must have rained.
- it is evaluating the value of data and research results in terms of the methods used to obtain them and their potential relevance to particular conclusions
- we are engaged in critical thinking when we weigh the pros and cons of each proposed alternative approach
"producing something that is both original and worthwhile"
Shall we teach values?