Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Ancient Greek Law
Transcript of Ancient Greek Law
When and Where?
Laws in Greece were beginning to being established as early as 900 BCE
Most law in Ancient Greece were officially established in the middle of the 7th century
Examples of Law
Murder was punished by the victims family killing the murderer
There was Family Law back in the Ancient Greek Law but there were no penalties for these laws but they were enforced by whomever was the head of the family
They also had public laws such as; the amount a land a person could own
Procedural Law also came from Greek Law that gave guidelines for judges on how to use other laws
Impact on Canada's Legal System
There are many examples of how the Ancient Greek Law impacted the way that the Canadian Legal System is set up today. These reasons include:
• During the Ancient Greek Law, only certain people were allowed to vote and represent themselves in court which is similar to how the Canadian Legal System was first set up.
• The Ancient Greek Law introduced democracy and used it to make decisions and that is the reason we have it in our Legal System today.
• The tort laws, family laws, procedural laws and public laws that were first used in the Ancient Greek System became more developed and started to apply more to the Canadian Legal System.
• Greek Laws have introduced many different types of laws into our country, becoming a major influence on the Canadian Legal system today.
Main Features of Legal System
In Ancient Greek Law small amount of citizens had political right. Women, Children, Immigrants and Slaves did not have these rights.
Their juries were made up of 6000 people and had to use democracy to decide a sentence.
The most important thing to Ancient Greek Law was the citizen involvement