Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Technical Writing Introduction
Transcript of Technical Writing Introduction
1. What did you think Technical Writing was before you signed up for this class?
2. Why are you taking this class?
3. What do you hope to gain from this class?
4. What grade (A-F) would you give yourself as a writer based on your current skills? Why? Academic Writing Context Nobody wants to read technical writing. What will Technical Writing Help Me Do? Find a job.
Improve your reports and presentations.
Be more efficient at work.
Create a good impression. Good Technical Writing Is Accurate What is Technical Writing? Real-World Consequences . . . and Why Should I Care? Technical Writing Audience Purpose --A single professor, an expert in the field
--Academic community of specialists --Varying audiences from experts to non-experts
--May have to cater to multiple audiences --Writing to inform or instruct
--Writing to persuade
--Concrete, actionable writing --Writing to engage academic scholarship
--Pleasing the professor
--Often abstract or theoretical People read to accomplish tasks or find information. Readers will read as little of your writing as possible to achieve their goals. Technical Writing must reach a wide, diverse audience. Ethical and Legal Concerns
legal liability Clear Concise Readable Usable Correct Drafting Testing Audience: Who will read the document? Purpose: Why will they read the document? Context: When/How will they read the document? What content needs to be included? How should the content be organized? How will the document address different audiences? In some cases, the document may be "tested" for clarity and efficiency:
This may include
usability tests (for software or user manuals
self-editing Revising is implementing changes to improve the document or fix problems. Comprehensive Editing Large-scale changes in content, organization, and style Copyediting Ensures consistency in
content Submit your document to the dropbox titled "Technical Writing Impressions." Name the document "YourLastName_Impressions"