Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Classification 1- Corrosives 2- Hydrocarbons 3-Alcohols 4-In
Transcript of Classification 1- Corrosives 2- Hydrocarbons 3-Alcohols 4-In
an organic compound made up primarily of carbon & hydrogen
there are two basic types of hydrocarbon molecules :
- aromatic (cyclic)
- they are powerful cleaning products that may contain strong acids , alkalies or phosphate .
-cationic >>> antiseptic in hospitals
-anionic >>> clean carpeting
- poisoning ocurre when someone swallow cationic or anionic detergent .
chemical categories : non ionic , cationic & anionic
Personal Care Produc
any substance if comes in contact with living tissue ,will cause destruction by chemical action .
Acids e.g drain cleaners --> Coagulative necrosis
Alkali e.g washing soda --> Liquifactive necrosis
Commn household detergent :
Dishwasher detergent :
cascade ..... sunlight .....electroSol
Dishwashing liquid :
Pril .....fairy ....Dove ....Mr muscle
Disinfectant cleaner :
Downey .... Dettol ... Clorox bleach
Glass surface cleaner :
power .... windex
Laundry detergents :
Tide ... Arial.... Persil
4-Insecticides & Rodenticides
7-Personal care products
- Children are more at risk for poison exposures
- Can affect anyone
Extent of injury depends on:
- Duration of contact
- Ability of substance to penetrate tissue
- Emergency & supportive treatment
- Non surgical airway placement
- give Dexamethasone
- Nasotracheal intubation is contraindicated
- Skin & eye decontamination
- Management of ophthalmic exposure
- Respiratory tract
- Eyes Cause severe pain
Commonly >> Over-the-counter (OTC) drugs
medicines sold directly to a consumer without a prescription from a healthcare professional, as compared to prescription drugs, which may be sold only to consumers possessing a valid prescription .
--> very low toxicity , GIT upset ,Vaginal bleeding in first few days ,no treatment
- Iron --> highly toxic
- Vit. preparations
circumstances of poisoning :
1) Ingestion or accidental exposure in house- hold:
observted in children < 5
2) Intentional abuse :
3) massive oral abuse
are associated with suicide attempts
household products containing hydrocarbons
-inhalation is major route for most volatile hydrocarbons.
-absorbed through inhalation , ingestion or dermal route .
-distributed to target or store organs , once absorbed .
-can be elminated through expired air ,,, or urine & bile .
lethargy , transient
arrythmia , as the hydrocarbons increase the sensitivity of myocardium to
episodes of choking , gagging , bronchospasm , tachypnea , respiratory distress ,
* hypoxia & chemical pneumonia may occur*
irritation , nausea , vomiting & sore throat
non specific irritation of skin & m.m.
hepatomegaly & renal injury
- CBC >> leukocytosis & anemia
- ECG >> arrythmia .
observe the patient on cardiac monitor .
- liver function test
- BUN & creatinin .
- emergency & supportive ttt *ABC*
-gastric decontamination is of no benefits unless sever systemic toxicity is expected .
-activated charcoal is of limited benefit .
- constituents of antifreezers , solid cooking fuels , wind screen washer ,perfumes , methanol
- used also as a solvent
- rapidly absorbed from GIT
-metabolized by Acohol dehdrogenase enzyme .
Clinical picture :
irritation of M.M. , abdominal pain , nausea , vomiting ,optic nerve neuritis , metabolic acidosis ,
convulsions & coma .
gastric lavage if ones early
.if drowsy >> insert endotracheal tube
-Enhancement of Elimination :
haemodialysis in sever cases
no specific antidote
..Naloxone can shorten the alcoholic coma
..treat convulsions by diazepam
..antacids to prevent gastritis
..antibiotics to prevent pulmonary compilications,
Organophosphate & carbamate :
e.g : pyrosole ,Temik , Ragon , ETC
they are common cause of poisonong in developing world
they cause inhibition of CE enzyme >>> accumulation of A-CH
-mostly warfarin or long acting anticoagulant .
- they cause bleeding &CNS deppresion
sever change in acid level >>> destruction in all of the body organs
- loss of vision
-sever pan in throat
-sever pain or burning in eyes , ear , nose ,lips or tongue
-Blood in stool
- Burns & possible holes in the esophagus
-sever abdominal pain
-vomiting & haematemesis
- hypotension yhat develops rapidly
- breathing difficulty & throat swelling Due to inhalation of the detergent .
-corrosion of the skin or tissue underneath.
- administer oral fluids
- further steps in ttt depend on presence of respiratory symptoms or tissue corrosion.
they are extermely
for children .
they may cause irritation of M.M , naesea ,vomiting , CNS deppresion & hyperglycemia
... Mai Mostafa
... Mervat Elsayed
... Nada Waseem
؛Presented by :
First AiD ِActions