Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Misuse of Colon
Transcript of The Misuse of Colon
List: My mom told me to do the following: empty the dishwasher, clean my room, and feed the cat.
Appositive: There are two fruits of the Spirit that are highly important two me: love and joy.
Quotation: I live by a famous Swedish proverb: "Love me when I least deserve it because that is when I really need it." 2. Adding an explanation or summary after an independent clause
“Yours is the light by which my spirit's born: - you are my sun, my moon, and all my stars.” ― E.E. Cummings Hacker, Diana, and Nancy Sommers. . Boston: Bedford / St. Martin's, 2010. Print.
Kamins, Heather. "Grammar & Puncuation : When to Use a Colon." . Youtube, 5 June 2009. Web. 11 Oct. 2012. Colons after a verb
-Some of the students in the play are: Madeline Finne, William Davis, Joseph Lane, and Meghan Mansur.
Colons after a preposition
-The cookies were made of: Nutella, eggs, and flour.
Colons after "such as," "including," or "for example"
-My dog isn't a genius, for example: he falls asleep when you put a blanket over his head.
3. Also used after formal greetings, in time, in ratios, separation of title and subtitle, and city and publisher (in a bibliography)
Greeting: Dear Mrs. Marietta:
Time: 2:30 P.M.
Ratio: The triangles' ratio was 5:3.
Title/Subtitle: "Together in Perfect Harmony: Disney and the Civil Rights Movement"
City/Publisher: New York: Longman
MLA says to use a period instead of a colon in the division of Bible chapters and their verses (John 14.8 instead of John 14:8) The Bedford Handbook Youtube Cummings, E. E. . Goodreads Inc., 2012. Web. 11 Oct. 2012. Goodreads