Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
This is Your Teen's Brain on Adolescence
Transcript of This is Your Teen's Brain on Adolescence
The brakes for adolescents
Primary place of Decision Making
The CEREBRAL CORTEX
Drugs are more reinforcing to the developing teen brain. With repeated use, dopamine transmitters are highjacked. Over time, things that USED to feel good no longer do.
Teen brains ARE NOT fully developed until around age 25 = Emotional intelligence learning such as problem solving, and communicating can be greatly affected and have long term damages from early onset of substance use.
How Do Drugs and Alcohol
Affect the Teen Brain?
What can you do as a parent
to increase healthy emotional
1. 21 day RULE for behavior change
2. REAL articles from newspapers or
magazines that outline consequences
3. Teach them a 5 pause button before responding
4.Kids are most receptive to information 20 minutes before sleep
5. MODEL healthy emotional responses
6. Instead of telling, SHOW kids how to respond
to different situations
7. BLACKOUT times for 1 hour a day- no media.
Lisa Kramer, MS, LPC, CAS