Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Oedipus Rex - Aristotle's Tragedy
Transcript of Oedipus Rex - Aristotle's Tragedy
Oedipus Rex by Sophocles
Aristotle says tragedy must:
Most important of the 6 elements of tragedy.
"All human happiness or misery takes the form of action...it is in our actions - what we do - that makes us happy or miserable."
Unity of plot
- events must be structurally self-contained..
Good plots have
- the change in the state of things from the beginning of a work to its end - &/ or
- the change from ignorance to knowledge, usually in the tragic hero.
best tragedies center on a good man who moves from happiness to misery
because of a great error.
involves a horrible or evil deed that the tragic hero does
out of ignorance
meditatively (makes it easy for the event to happen).
This deed should be done to someone important to the hero, such as a family member.
Characters should have 4 main qualities:
1. No matter who he or she, the
character must be good in some way
2. The character should
act appropriately to his or her station in life.
3. Characters must have
4. Character must be
- avoid being "out of character."
The power of saying what
could be or should be said at each moment in a play
. The dialogue should make sense in accordance with the characters.
refers to music that sometimes accompanies play.
The music must blend appropriately with the play
is how the play is staged. Play's
staging should be appropriate to its theme.
Melody & Spectacle
1. deal with one serious, important issue, such as death.
2. be easy to listen to and understand.
3. be in dramatic form.
4. make the audience feel pity or fear for the tragic hero.
catharsis - a release of emotion, usually at the time of the tragic hero's fall
- in the audience.
How the lines are said and composed.
Good plays are written in language that the audience can quote when it leaves.
Wait! What does all of this have to do with Oedipus Rex?
Oedipus is the tragedy Aristotle uses as a primary example of his view of tragedy.