Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of English Timeline
Julian Fellowes (the author) based the novel
off Britain's modern aristocracy.
Perhaps the novel could have been based on a book by David Cannadine called "The Decline and Fall of British aristocracy".
what happened in 2004?
~ Population 132,122,000
~ Unemployed in 1940 - 8,120,000
~ National Debt $43 Billion
~ Average Salary $1,299. Teacher's salary $1,441
~ Minimum Wage $0.40 per hour
~ 55% of U.S. homes have indoor plumbing
~ Antarctica is discovered to be a continent
~ Life expectancy 68.2 female, 60.8 male
~ Auto deaths 34,500
~ Supreme Court decides blacks do have a right to vote
~ World War II changed the order of world power; the United States and the USSR become super powers
~ Cold War begins.
What Happened During this Decade? (1940-1949)
Image That Would Symbolize
- Before 1949 there was no government law about gender equality.
- It was very common for Chinese women to get abused.
- It was acceptable for the men to beat their wives.
- If women gave birth to a baby girl it was considered bad luck and they were able to abort as soon as they new or able to kill the child.
- Women had no say in divorce and had no rights.
- Women had no voice or opinion on who they married in some cases and most marriages were arranged.
- Wealthy men were allotted to a concubine.
This image is representative of my book and the time period it was in because back in the day in China it was OK for a man to have two women in his life, one for sexual pleasure and delight and the other for work.
The Great Gatsby is heavily based off the
authors (F. Scott Fitzgerald) life, the people he met, and the relationship with his wife Zelda.
The Great Gatsby
Love & Relationships Timeline
By: Ali, Brooke, Kiara, and Mercedes
The Great Gatsby was written and published
during the prohibition era and the roaring twenties.
The time of jazz music, flapper culture, and bootlegging.
F. Scott Fitzgerald wanted to
show everyone the life of the
1920's while showing events of his life.
This image symbolizes the main affairs in the story. While Daisy is married to Tom, she is secretly having an affair with Gatsby (meanwhile even Tom is having
an affair with a girl named Myrtle.
It shows no matter what time period, people will continue to have affairs.
Fellowes grew up in a rich home, since
his father was a diplomat. He most likely
based the novel on his own life (rich and
This image symbolizes that having lots of
money will "make" you happy. In SNOBS everyone
lives the high life, and Edith Lavery (the main character) marries Charles only because she wants to marry a rich man.
This is a picture of a girl who is waiting for a call from a boy. This happens a lot in the book
Angie and her sister Lorraine always seem to be waiting for a call. Today you would just text the person that you have a crush on but in the time period of this book they didn't have cellphones and boys were expected to call the girl if they were interested in her. We have email, social media and text messaging. In that time period they didn't have any of that. It's more suspenseful to wait for a call from a boy in this time period because you wouldn't want to miss the call and you would want to know if he would invite you on another date.
The Fault in Our Stars
Love & Relationships:
Our topic is based on love and relationships whether it's good or bad, happy or sad, corrupt or full of infidelity.
Foundation, Education. Think Quest. Chinese Women's Rights. library.thinkquest.org/07aug/001579/apsaral.hml. 17 Jan, 2014.
- Men thought it was acceptable for the women to cheat on them, vise versa.
- The men decided it made the relationship between the two people stronger.
- Most people in america say that their affairs last about 2 years.
- Women and men in america in the 21st century don't care as much as they used to about having a one on one relationship.
- There is no law placed in America saying that it is illegal for a male or female to have more than one sex partner.
This image is a symbol of a girl cheating on two different guys as a representation that it happens to both guys and girls and not just guys cheat on women. Women do cheat on men as well and there is the same percentile for both.
This is an image of a "Love Grenade".
"[…] and only now that I loved a grenade did I understand the foolishness of trying to save others from my own impending fragmentation: I couldn't unlove Augustus Waters. And I didn't want to." (13.34) Maybe Hazel is a grenade. But finally she realizes that it doesn't matter. When you love someone, they could be any sort of weapon and you'd still love them. I think that this image is symbolic of the "explosion of love" Hazel has for Augustus. Another quote that I think fits with this image is, "As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once." (8.75) Even before she admits it to him, Hazel is totally and completely taken by Augustus Waters. She can't control it, just like other people can't control loving her. Cancer is totally out of the picture at this moment—and it's very sweet.
Infidelity was OK in The Good Earth in 1931 and no punishments were given because there were no laws put against it. Wang the main character had a concubine and his working wife and used and manipulated both of them. He formed relationships with both of them and managed to destroy them. Pearl Buck, might have been influenced to include the relationships because it shows the chinese women's rights and how they really had none before the time period in which the book had been written.
The Good Earth
What Happened During 2012
We'll Always Have Summer
It's acceptable to date
Infidelity between Belly and the two brothers was OK in We'll Always Have Summer, because there is no law against it. The affair that happened within the book lasted about 3 years and Belly had kept it a secret. Jenny Han, might have been influenced by the way teenagers in america act and decided to expand it to a more fictional view to explain how hurt people can get from such a thing within relationships.
The Tale Of Two Cities
- The French Government passes a law to set the A-note above middle C to a frequency of 435 Hz, in an attempt to standardize the pitch. (Feb 16)
- In the eighteen-fifties, Charles Dickens was concerned that social problems in England, particularly those relating to the condition of the poor, might provoke a mass reaction on the scale of the French Revolution.
- Some have argued that in A Tale of Two Cities Dickens reflects on his recently-begun affair with eighteen-year-old actress Ellen Ternan. Lucie Manette has been noted as resembling Ternan physically.
- The French Revolution (1789-1799) was a big influence for Dickens to write the story to show one of bloodiest events in European history.
What was happening:
The French Revolution was such a huge inspiration for Dickens to write The Tale Of Two Cities as it showed how many people, mainly the poor, reacted to the unknown, where there was thought of paranormal activity in the town. It presented the gruesome time period where Sydney Carton sacrifices his own life, so the girl he loved would be happy.It also shows how people dealt with the economy and price of things, seen in the beginning when wine is spilt on the street and many citizens kneel down to drink all the wine that has spilled, so it does not waste.
This is a painting of Lady Liberty in the French Revolution. She represents peace and freedom, just like Sydney Carton from the novel. Carton, sacrificed his own life at the guillotine in the place of Charles Darnay, for Lucie's happiness, and freedom for both England and France. He was a miserable man, but he wanted freedom for everyone, and was very determined to reach his goal.
- Y2K bug fails to happen
- 9/11. Terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon kill nearly 3,000 people
- 2003-Beginning of War in Iraq,
- 2005- Hurricane Katrina leaves Louisiana devastated, kills 1,800 people.
- President George Bush signs executive order stating that the US military can indefinitely detain non-citizens who are believed to be involved in terrorism
- Collins says that she drew inspiration for the series from both classical and contemporary sources. The main classical source of inspiration came from the Greek myth of Theseus and the Minotaur. As a punishment for past crimes, Minos forces Athens to sacrifice seven youths and seven maidens to the Minotaur, by whom they are killed in a vast labyrinth. Collins says that even as a child the idea stunned her since "it was just so cruel", as Athens was forced to sacrifice its own children.
A contemporary source of inspiration was Collins's recent fascination with reality television programmes. She relates this to the Hunger Games in how they are not just entertainment, but also a reminder to the districts of their rebellion. On a tired night, Collins says that while she was channel-surfing the television where she saw people competing for some prize, and then saw footage of the Iraq war. She described how the two combined in an "unsettling way" to create the first ideas for the series.
This image was chosen to represent the love you can find within hatred. The Hunger Games mainly, in my opinion, revolves around the dystopic society that Katniss and her friends and family live in, but also showing how much they all care for each other and are willing to sacrifice themselves for one another. Katniss has many flashbacks to her first time in the arena, when Rue is killed, and I think this also represents how Katniss feels about Rue's death, in the sense that even though it was a fight to the death they still took care of each other very well.