Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Skills B - 2013
Transcript of Skills B - 2013
(Skills B) Tutorial 1
2013 Toolbox for dealing with: Overview of the course
The 12 steps method
Assignment requirements Overview of the course
Block period 1.4 - focuses on legal translation/concept analysis (for native speakers of English)
Block period 1.5 - writing legal submissions as a team; Moot Court exercise
Examination: 3 Assignments, 1 Result: Good/Pass/Fail (list of points will be made available together with the results).
! Failing one assignment results in:
taking the resit;
not participating in the Moot Court exercise
Coursebook supplement will placed on ELEUM before the end of block period 1.4. Overview of the course How to translate legal terms? The 12 steps revisited 12 steps (short version)
1. Research: the exact meaning / legal concept behind the legal term in that (source) legal system.
2. Legal terms EU law? If both SLLS (source) and TLLS (target) are Members States of EU: find relevant EU measure/case and its translations (eg. EUR-Lex).
Legal terms →Int. Treaty? Get translation of Treaty in Source and Target language and look for the concepts.
3. Decide: whether there is an acceptable degree of equivalence between content SLLS (source) term and TLLS (target) term. If yes: use word.
4. Last resort: No equivalent word choose subsidiary solution (eg. non-translation; paraphrasis; neologism). Assignment requirements - Formal VEHICLE SALES AGREEMENT
THIS VEHICLE SALES AGREEMENT is made this ____ day of ____________, 20___, by and among _______________________ of _________________________ (hereinafter known as "Seller") and ______________, of ____________________ (hereinafter known as "Buyer"). Buyer and Seller shall collectively be known herein as "the Parties".
WHEREAS, Seller desires to sell the vehicle described below, known herein as the "Acquired Vehicle", under the terms and conditions set forth below;
WHEREAS, Buyer desires to purchase the Acquired Vehicle offered for sale by Seller under the terms and conditions set forth below; and, therefore,
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
IN CONSIDERATION of the mutual promises and other valuable consideration exchanged by the Parties as set forth herein, the Parties, intending to be legally bound, hereby agree as follows:
A. Description of Acquired Vehicle.
1. Make: __________
2. Model: __________
3. Body Type: __________
4. Body Color: __________
5. Year: __________
6. Miles: __________
7. Vehicle Identification Number ("VIN"): __________________________
1. Purchase Price. The total purchase price to be paid by Buyer to Seller for the Acquired Vehicle is ______________________________ euros (€_______) (EUR)
(hereinafter "Purchase Price") consisting of the following components: [...] Page 1 Page 2 comparative law research
presentations & public speaking
team work !!! (Period 1.5 Moot Court - still to come) Other formal requirements follow the Maastricht Journal Stylesheet uploaded on EleUM (footnotes, bibliography, etc.)
First page must have: ID number + Name + Target language!
add a bibliography at the end of the assignment
footnotes must be in English!
deadline Legal Translation 1: 28 February, before 19:00 Text in source language English Text in target language (full translation of the English text) language of your choice 10 highlighted terms in text 1 footnote for each term (consisting of 2 sources) Assignment requirements - Formal 1 1. Hugh Beale et al, Cases, Materials and Text on Contract Law: Ius Commune Casebooks for the Common Law of Europe (Hart Publishing, 2002), p. ???; Art. x Civil Code of Country x (article in English) Let's start researching! For other questions: