Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Evolution
type of hair- thick, short, wire, medium length Adaptations Agenda -Finish lab questions
and discuss results
-Skipper fish video
-10.3 Notes :)
Agenda -Weekend wrap up
-Review animal adaptations
- Natural Selection Activity Objectives:
-Identify animal adaptations and explain how they are helpful in their environments.
-Model natural selection and how it impacts population size. What are adaptations? Can you think of any other adaptations? Name ________________________________________________ Date ___________
Natural Selection Lab Activity
In this lab activity, you will use black paper and newspaper squares to represent two kinds of prey. You will act as the predator, using your fingers to “catch” the prey. First, you will try to catch the prey on a newspaper background, and then you will try to catch the prey on a black background.
Objective: To conduct an activity that simulates the process of natural selection.
• sheet of black paper
• 30 newspaper squares and 30 black squares
1. Layout newspaper as your environment
2. Have your partner spread all the squares onto the sheet of newspaper while you are not looking.
3. When the squares have been spread out, you will have 15 seconds to pick up as many squares as you can. You can only pick up one square at a time. Place all squares to the side.
4. Count the number of printed squares and plain squares after each turn and record your number.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 using the black paper as your environment.
6. Complete the Analysis and Conclusion sections of the lab.
Jackie There are 4 main principles to the theory of natural selection: Natural selection explains how evolution can occur Some jaguars may be born with slightly larger jaws and teeth. Some variations are heritable 1. Variation- a slightly different form or version of something Write this down :) Darwin noticed plants and animals that were raised by humans had traits that were not found not found in their wild relatives Artificial selection is when humans change a species by breeding it for certain traits Artificial Selection How artificial selection and natural selection differ? Characteristics are selected if they give _______ to individuals in the environment Food,water,and shelter are natural limits to population growth Favorable traits are selected. Why? 2. Overproduction- organisms produce more offspring than can survive A jaguar may produce many offspring but not all will survive due to competition for resources Write this down 3. Adaptation- a change in an organism, over time, that better allows it to survive in it's environment Example: Jaguar with larger jaws and teeth are able to eat shelled reptiles. These jaguars will live longer and reproduce 4. Descent with modification- over time natural selection will result in species with adaptations that are beneficial Large teeth and jaws become more common in jaguars Panda Bears How can a trait be an advantage today, but a disadvantage in the future?