Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
RE 11:Unit 1 The Existence of God
Transcript of RE 11:Unit 1 The Existence of God
1. Something can exist without us knowing it.
Cosmological Argument = Causation
Causation: ‘The argument that everything must have been started off (caused) by something else.’ St Thomas Aquinas
Design: ‘The idea that things with a function or
purpose, must have been created for that purpose.’
2. We have reasons that do not amount to proof but to probabilities
ex.) crossing the street
3. Philosophical proofs can be good proofs but they do not have to be scientific
1.Nothing happens by itself,
\everything needs a cause
2. Therefore the universe
must have a cause.
3. Only God could have caused a universe to come about
Therefore, there must be a God.
1. To design something takes intelligence & thought.
2. The world shows evidence of design
3. Therefore, a being with intelligence & thought must have designed
Only God could have intelligence and thought enough to design the world.
Do you believe that one can prove the existence of God?
Yo, Teach. I am not religious. I'm spiritual
"For you clean the outside of the cup and of the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup, so that the outside also may become clean." (Matthew 23:25-26)
Spiritual or religious? What's the difference?
Music is to dancing what religion is to spirituality
Isolation of spirituality from religion is very "modern"
It is "liberating"
Nonsensical as separating dancing from music
Dancing without music, it is liberated from meaning.
Spirituality needs religion
Safeguards, nurtures, and directs spirituality to its proper end
Review:Does God Exist???
Dr. William Lane Craig
Example of the relationship between Spirituality and Religion
Spirituality = a search for the Sacred
Cared for the poorest of the poor & AIDS patients
Where did her strength come from?
Jesus, in the Eucharist : "If you really want to grow in love, come back to the Eucharist, come back to that adoration"
"Our homes for the sick and dying destitute are full everywhere. And from the time we started having adoration every day, our love for Jesus became more intimate, our love for each other more understanding, our love for the poor more compassionate, and we have doubled the number of vocations"
"We all know when we look at the cross, how Jesus loved us.
When we look at the Eucharist we know how much He loves us now"
I don't believe in THAT God....
- You have 30 seconds to draw an explanation of this argument
Let us establish a common description of the God we are talking about...
What Are Your Thoughts?
What do you think is the difference between religion and spirituality?
up to 24:30 but it is all worth a watch :)
Logic itself will not lead us to God....
Let us start nice and easy....
Who is God?
Fact & Truth
What is the Difference?
Fine tuning is due to either: A/B/C