Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

Digestive System Flow Diagram

The Path Of The Digestive System
by

Matthew Stickells

on 15 April 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Digestive System Flow Diagram

The Digestive
System The food then passes through a 25cm long muscular tube that leads toward the stomach. This is called an esophagus. Strong muscles push the bolus down the esophagus by contractions called peristalsis all the way down the tube to the stomach. OM NOM! By Matthew Stickells The First Stage of digestion starts in the mouth. the teeth chew up the food to make it into smaller bits so it is easier to swallow. the food is at the same time moistened by saliva which is secreted by the salivary glands.

The mouth also regulates the temperature of the food which you swallow so you don't swallow something too hot of too cold.

The tongue rolls the food and pushes the food back under the teeth. the roll is called a bolus and it is made so the saliva is mixed evenly. The food is then swallowed. The bolus eventually reaches the stomach. the stomach is placed in the abdomen and is protected by the ribs. Its muscular 'J' shaped sac stores ingested food. its function is to secrete digestive juices into the food to break it down.

One of these is hydrochloric acid which sterilizes the food and assists with digestion. The mucous lining of the stomach protects the stomach walls from the corrosive action of the acid. The Digestive track is approximately 8 meters long which passes through the body. It begins at the mouth and finishes at the anus. Its Function is to change food into products which the gut can absorb and use as fuel for growth, cell repair and energy. The food mixture, now called chyme, then moves by something called peristaltic waves into the duodenum. (the first part of the small intestine) bile and pancreatic juices begin to digest the chyme. The small and large intestine are both connected one against the other. the small intestine is approximately 6-7 meters long and is where most of the digestive action occurs. the nutrients are absorbed through villi into tiny blood capillaries which run into the blood line. The contents of the small intestine reach the end about 6 hours after it leaves the stomach. The leftover waste goes through the large intestine. the bacteria in the 1.5 meter long large intestine are essential for the final breakdown of the proteins and carbohydrates. its main function is to absorb excess water from the food mixture. The rectum stores the final waste product now called faeces, are stored in the rectum. The faeces are now approximately 70% water. The remaining 30% are made up of bacteria, food residue and intestinal breakdown products.
When the rectum is full the faeces are extreated from the body through the anus. The largest organ in the body is the liver. The liver produces bile which is one of the digestive elements that breaks down the food mixture in the duodenum. The gall bladder is a small sac on the underside of the liver. bile is secreted by te liver and into the gall bladder. the pancreas produces the most powerful enzymse in the whole digestive system. sodium bicarbonate in the pancreatic juices neutralize the acid in the chyme and the other enzymes complete the digestion of proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
it also produces the hormones insulin and gucagon which control the blood sugar level.
Full transcript