Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Packaging
for the Dutch task Exercise 1: The cuboid S =2a(2h+a)
Since the side and the height are integer numbers, we looked for the divisors of 1000 that are perfect squares. They are: 1, 4, 25, 100, and the correspondent height values are: 1000, 250, 40 and 10.
We calculated the surface area in each of these cases In conclusion, the most cost-effective cuboid is the cube. The surface/volume ratio for the cube is 6/l, in our case S/V=0.6 Exercise 2: The cylinder We aproximated the cylinder by a cuboid with the same height and the base the square circumscribed to the base of the cylinder. In order to be the most cost-effective, the cuboid must be a cube, as shown in the previous case, so h=a=2r S/V=3/r=0.(5)<0.6
The cylinder is more cost-effective than the cube.
Exercise 3: The sphere Therefore, the sphere is the best package, but it’s not practical for the store and the fridge. S/V=0.4838 Some conclusions: Regarding the last question, if we consider the volume fixed, the answer is no. But, we found some interesting things. The S/V ratio depends on the dimension of the solid (side, radius), therefore :
1. this explains why powdered sugar dissolves faster than the regular sugar 2.the S/V ratio is very important in the living world, because it influences the impact of the surrounding enviroment on te living organism. The ratio is important for warm-blooded animals because the amount of heat lost by the body is proportional to its surface area, whereas the amount generated is proportional to its volume. Very small birds and mammals lose a lot of heat and need a high intake of food to maintain their body temperature. Elephants, on the other hand, are in danger of overheating, which is why they have no fur. 3. if we look into the following table http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-area-to-volume_ratio, the expression for the dodecahedron seems smaller than the one for the sphere (2.694/a). However, a dodecahedron and a sphere of the same dimension will not have the same volume. I’m not so sure about this table anyway. Thank you!