Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of THE OCCULT
Occult: sinister, hidden, secret, forbidden
DEFINITION OF OCCULT
OCCULT UMBRELLA OR TREE
How many more aspects of the Occult can you list?
What specific aspects of the Occult would you like to study?
GUIDELINES FOR STUDYING THE OCCULT
2. Remain Christ-centered
3. Scripture, not experience, must be the guide for truth (occult experience is real but mirage-like)
4. Faith and Freedom in Christ is the goal of study
5. We desire to gain a better understanding so we can protect ourselves and help others
6. C.S. Lewis' warning in the preface of Screwtape Letters, "There are two errors which man falls about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence and the other is to believe in and feel an excessive interest in them."
1. Lucifer's fall from heaven
ORIGIN OF THE OCCULT
Ezekiel 28:1-10 - Oracle against the King of Tyre (metaphor for Satan's fall from heaven)
Ezekiel 28:11-19 - Clearly not the King of Tyre being described here!
Question: Where did Lucifer's pride originate if he was created perfect and in the presence of God in heaven?
2. The Fall of Mankind
Satan enticed Eve like he entices us today
1. Twisted God's words ... "any tree?" 2. Notice Eve added "We must not touch it" Where did she get this addition?
3. Satan's blatant lie "You will not die, you will be like God" 4. Enticement: Food, pleased eye, desirable for wisdom
5. Eve gave to her husband "who was with her" (Gen. 3:6)
Basic Occult Philosophy: "You can be like God, you can be your own god, you are god."
OCCULT PHILOSOPHY & SYMBOLS
Origin of this ethic: Genesis 3
Aliester Crowley, "Do what thou wilt is the whole of the law."
Anton Szandor LaVey: High Priest of the Church of Satan
The Satanic Creed (LaVey, The Satanic Bible, p. 25)
1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinance
2. Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams
3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit
4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates
5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek
6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires
7. Satan represents man as just another animal -- sometimes better but often much worse than those who walk on all fours -- who because of his divine spiritual and intellectual development has become the most vicious animal of all
8. Satan represents the so-called sins as they all lead to physical, mental, and emotional gratification
9. Satan has been the best friend the church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years
There are different kinds of Satanism but only one established Church of Satan led by Anton LaVey (1930-1997)
THE CHURCH OF SATAN
Do demons exist or are demons a matter of folk lore?
Biblically, demons do exist
How Demons can affect people
1. ASTROLOGY: Interpretation of the alignment of stars to impart truth of one's future
VARIOUS OCCULT PRACTICES
2. Black Mass: satanic mockery of Christian service including desecration of the Lord's Supper elements and blasphemous song
3. Blood Pact: signing one's soul over to the devil in a letter written or signed in blood
4. Ouigi Boards: spiritist boards said to be used to interact with the dead or the disembodied (if it works, it interacts with demons)
5. Vampirism: people who drink the blood of animals or humans to gain psychic power
OCCULT INFLUENCE ON HALLOWEEN
1. Druids were the priestly class of the pagan Celtic religion
2. Pagan/Celtic celebration of New Year's Eve on Oct. 31
3. Celts believed in reincarnation and that visits from the dead would occur on Oct. 31 to bless or curse the New Year
4. Celtic Holidays:
May 1 (Beltain: celebration to sun god in spring/summer)
October 31 (Samhain: death god celebrated on New Years Eve)
5. Worship practices to Samhain on Oct. 31
* attempts to appease the dead and not be cursed
1) bon fires: bone fires with bones of animals
2) masks were made of animal heads to hide from haunting, evil spirits
3) fortune telling about the New Year
Jack - o- lantern
A stingy drunk named Irish Jack tricked the devil into climbing an apple tree but then cut the sign of a cross into the side of the tree preventing the devil from coming down. Jack forced the devil to swear that he would never come after Jack's soul. Jack eventually died but was turned away from the gates of heaven because of his drunkenness and selfishness. He was sent to the devil who also rejected him by keeping his promise.
Since Jack had no place to go, he was condemned to wander the earth. As he was leaving hell (he happened to be eating a turnip), the devil threw a live coal at him. He put the coal inside the turnip and has since been forever roaming the earth with his Jack-o-lantern.
Eventually pumpkins replaced turnips because it was easier to symbolize the devil's coal in a pumpkin.
1. Going door to door seeking treats may hail back to the Celts
accumulation of items for the bonfire/worship service.
2. Druids would accumulate treats to appease the gods/dead spirits.
3. Halloween costumes may have originated with the Celt/Druid ceremonial participants who wore animal heads and skins to acquire strength from particular animals and hide from dead spirits.
Theories explain ghosts & poltergeists:
Which theory do you affirm and why?
1. Spirits of human dead (reincarnationist)
a. spirit of the human never dies
b. transition to the next life is based on merit
2. psychic activity
a. New Age belief
b. roaming dead people
c. someone has attached to the earth rather than progressed into spiritual realm.
1. The Bible teaches that the human dead are confined either to a heavenly realm of paradise or a hellish realm of suffering
Therefore, unable to roam the earth or haunt houses!
A biblical view of ghosts
2. psychic powers in human beings is a myth
3. Many ghost experiences can be explained by the biblical view that demons are actually at work behind poltergeist experiences.
4. Demons desire to trick people into the occult and away from Christianity.
5. The demons desire to fool people away from a biblical view of the after life.
6. Scripture supports the demon position:
Matthew 16:18-19, 10:28; Mark 9:43-48
Luke 16:19-31, 23:24; Acts 2:31;
2 Corinthians 5:1-10; Philippians 1:19-26
Deliverance from the powers of darkness comes only through Jesus Christ
DELIVERANCE FROM THE OCCULT
1. Proclaim the Victory Christ has won over the powers of darkness (Ephesians 1-2).
2. People involved in the occult will never find deliverance in medicine, psychology, or psychiatry apart from the work of Jesus Christ in their lives.
3. If the devil is only a ridiculous, powerless figure then Christ would not have had to die to free us from his power (1 John 3:8).
1. Skin Disease (Job 2:7)
2. Destruction and irrational acts (Matthew 8:28; Luke 8:27)
3. Deafness and inability to speak (Mark 9:25; Luke 11:14)
4. Epileptic-like seizures (Matt. 7:15; Mark 9:18; Luke 9:39)
5. Blindness (Matt. 12:22)
6. Tormenting pain (Revelation 9:1-11)
7. Insanity (Luke 8:26-35)
8. Give supernatural strength (Luke 8:29)
9. Severe physical deformity (Luke 13:11-17)
10. Can demons influence Christian behavior?
11. Can demons possess Christians?
BOBBING FOR APPLES
A divination game played by pagans to determine a marriage partner.
By why apples?