Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Challenges in Team-Building and Supervisory Relationships in
Transcript of Challenges in Team-Building and Supervisory Relationships in
Factors that influence a person's ability to listen:
Willingness to listen
Ability to evaluate what has been heard
Brown, B. (2012).
New York: Gothan Books.
Covey, S. (1989).
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.
New York: Simon & Schuster.
Hyatt, M. (2015). "This is Your Life" Podcast, Season 3, Episode 10. Retrieved from www.michaelhyatt.com.
Lanceley, F. J. (1999).
On-Scene Guide for Crisis Negotiators.
Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
Levitt, S. D., & Dubner, S. J. (2005).
New York: HarperCollins.
Pink, D. H. (2009).
Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us.
New York: Riverhead Books.
List 3 common barriers to effective teamwork and partnerships.
State how you can address each of these barriers.
Name the most common reason that conflict arises.
Explain how changing one's response pattern can serve to diffuse conflict.
Identify at least 3 techniques to use in active listening.
Common Barriers to Teamwork / Partnerships
Lack of diversity
Need for improvement in self-awareness on the part of the leader/supervisor
Poor communication between parties
Deficit in interpersonal skills and/or connection
Issues related to ego and emotions
Insufficient perspective-taking abilities
Habits of Effective Teams/Partnerships
Challenges in Team-Building and Supervisory Relationships in O.T.
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Department of Occupational Therapy
Stephanie Lancaster, MS, OTR/L, ATP, CAPS
What is the reason most conflict arises in partnerships/teamwork in a professional context?
What commonalities exist amongst people who are considered "difficult"?
What is active listening?
Dealing with Criticism and Confrontation
Four Ways to Improve Your Response Pattern:
Evaluate without shame.
Listen with an open mind.
Accept responsibility without blame.
Adjust as necessary.
Providing feedback constructively ...
Use "I" messages.
State your request clearly.
Focus on the behavior, not the person.
Use appropriate body language.
How can you avoid dealing with difficult people?
Image source: http://www.slideshare.net
(Levitt & Dubner, 2005)
Active Listening Techniques
Providing signs of encouragement
The Key to Success
Bringing a little "Goldilocks" into a situation
People Skills Assessment
Interpersonal Communication Skills
- conveying a clear message, using active listening techniques, and accurately decoding meaning
- modeling respect for others and realizing the benefits of diversity
- Promoting synergy and collaboration amongst team members
- the cornerstone of People Skills, which involves honesty, truthfulness, and courtesy in dealing with other people
We need to communicate and listen
effectively to get the results intended.