Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Pros and Cons of GMOs
Transcript of Pros and Cons of GMOs
* Less pesticide is needed due to insect repellent GMOs
* Cheaper to produce because of the lower amount of chemicals needed to efficently produce the products
* Cheaper costs for production means cheaper food prices
* Because of plants that are resistant to herbicides and insecticides, farmers are able to have higher crop yields * With genetic engineering, scientists could possibly use the same process to "weaponize" the foods and organisms around the world thus creating a new type of warfare.
* Because of the added DNA from outside organisms, this imposes a risk of inflaming or creating new allergies
* GMOs contains unforseen risks and those risks could possibly be harmful but no studies haven proven anything yet Farmer's Opinions Reasons for Supporting Reasons for Rejecting * Farmers have more money to spend elsewhere due to the lose cost of producing GMO pruducts
* Farmers have the ability to grow crops year round due to the plants resistance to the cold climate
* Because plants have insecticides and herbicides in their DNA, there is a less chance of crops dying out, thus allowing the farmer to have higher crop yields * Genes of weeds and pests adapt to survive creating "super weeds" and "super pests" which are resistant to herbicides and insecticides which gives a higher chance of farmers losing their crop to weeds or pests
* Insertion of genes have a possiblity of "destablilzing" an organism and creating possible mutations
* Scientists use something called "marker genes" to see if the DNA insertion worked properly. These "marker genes" contain antibiotics and with the continuous consumtion of these "marker genes" could create a resistance to anitbiotics
US Government Reasons for supporting
Reasons for Rejecting * The United States is threating countries who do not support the import of GMOs with "military-style trade wars"
* Some GMO companies have roots deep in the US government and tell government officials to endorse their product so they can make money and try to influence other countries to do the same * Due to GMO companies having such high influence with the US government, the US government is highly supporting the use of GMOs, therefore the US government does not reject the use of GMOs GMO companies Reasons for supporting Reasons for Rejecting * All genetically modified plants are safe
* No evidence that GMOs cause early onset puberty, which is once on the concerns with GMOs
* No evidence thta GMOs cause new types of food allergies
* Monsanto's question to the public "What's different?"
* No GMO companies are against the use of GMOs due to the fact that if they are against their own product which, inturn, will drive them out of business Environmental Groups Reasons for supporting Reasons for Rejecting * Some environmental groups belive that starvation is more of a threat to humans than the risks of GMOs therefore they support the use of GMOs in order to help prevent starvation * Other environmental groups believe that GMO foods have high risks of causing birth defects even at a low exposure and therefore believe that GMOs should not be used in the US Citations http://csanad.hubpages.com/hub/GMO-advantages-and-disadvantages