Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Lone Star Reublic
Transcript of Lone Star Reublic
Mexican Gov't Supported Americans
Stephen Austin granted land from Mexico
Land great for cattle and cotton
By 1830 20,000 Americans in Mexico
"The Fight for Indpendence"
How did Texas win independence?
"Fellow citizens and compatriots--I am besieged by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Annat. I have sustained a continual Bombardment and cannonade for 24 hours and have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded a surrender...otherwise the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken. I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, and our flag still waves proudly from the walls.
I shall never surrender or retreat...I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible and die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his honor and that of his country.
VICTORY OR DEATH
William Barret Travis"
Fought in Indians Wars and the Alamo
Republic of Texas
US divided over whether to annex Texas
Mexico didn't accept the signed treaty
Texas was bankrupt
Inquiry Question:How does the Alamo illustrate difficult choices during the period of Manifest Destiny?