Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Tropical Seasonal Forest
Transcript of Tropical Seasonal Forest
-South East Asia
-Central and South America
They are located between tropical rain forests and tropical savannas. Location of Biome Abiotic Factors Precipitation can vary from about 100cm/year to almost
300 cm/year! Average Precipitation The End Giraffe Howler Monkey White Rhinoceros White-Throated Magpie-Jay Angonoka Tortoise Giraffes are the tallest land mammal measuring up to 16-20 feet tall. They use their long necks to peak above the trees and browse around. Giraffes have long black tongues and don't have to drink as often as other animals so droughts aren't life-threatening. Orchids Strangler Figs Orchids- Orchids live on the trunks and limbs of trees, where sunlight and air can reach them. They have developed swollen stems for storing water and absorb dew and moisture from the air through their roots. Their strong scent and lovely flowers attract insects that assist in pollination. Ferns These monkeys are one of the largest New World monkeys. Male Howler Monkeys have a large throat and specialized shell-like vocal chambers that help volumize their distinctive call. These monkeys have beards and long, thick hair that can be brown, red, or black. However, red is the most common color. White Rhinoceros Howler Monkeys Giraffes The White Rhinos have a bulky build and an intimidating horn that make this species very distinctive. They sometimes gather in groups of as many as a dozen individuals. Females reproduce only two and a half to five years. Their young don't go off on their own until the age of three. White-Throated Magpie-Jay These birds travel in flocks and have flashy white and blue feathers. During the dry season, White-Throated Magpie-Jays survive largely on fruits, especially those of ant-acacias. They are very social and breed cooperatively. Female offspring stay with the parents to help care for future offspring, while males disperse. Angonoka Tortoise These tortoises are considered the most endangered species of land tortoises. The Angonoka tortoise only lives on the island of Madagascar and are poached. Their shell is a brown colored high dome with distinctive growth rings. Males are larger and heavier than females. Orchids Ferns -
- The average temperature ranges from 20-30 degrees Celsius, which is about 68-86 degrees Fahrenheit. Soil Rain Sunlight Carbon Dioxide and Oxygen (air) Temperature Sources http://www.ehow.com/info_8267614_distinctive-animals-tropical-seasonal-forest.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angonoka_tortoise http://www.marietta.edu/~biol/biomes/tropdry.htm http://www.marietta.edu/~biol/biomes/biome_main.htm http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_temperate_rainforest_and_an_tropical_rainforest Bristlecone Pines Bristlecone Pines Bristlecone Pines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristlecone_pine These trees are the oldest trees growing in this biome, believed to be more than 4600 years old. They grow in groups just under the tree line. The bristlecone pine grows very slowly and its needles can stay on the tree for about 40 years! This tree lives so long due to its extremely durable wood. Strangler Figs Types of Plants Bristlecone Pines Brown-barked Acacias Brown-barked Acacias Trees http://www.ehow.com/list_6613627_types-animals-tropical-dry-forest.html The brown-barked acacias tree is 15 to 25 meters tall and has a flat crown. Its bark is green and coated with a yellow powder. This tree is a very unique tree that resides in the tropical seasonal forest. It has hollow thorns in which ants reside. it also produces bright yellow, ball-like flowers. Orchids are perennials, growing back each year, and can grow up to 16 feet tall depending on the species. They have thick waxy leaves to absorb water. Orchid blooms are shaped irregularly and bloom in a variation of colors. Some ferns grow on the ground and serve as ground cover in the forest. Others grow directly on tree trucks and limbs and appear apart of the tree. Their leaves can be a solid blade or one divided into many small leaflets. This plant can have leaves that measure from 1/2 inch to 12 feet long! http://www.ehow.com/facts_7453062_description-fern-plant.html Strangler figs grow on another trees' branches and develop long roots that wrap around the host tree. The strangler figs end up taking all the sunlight and killing the host tree. The figs then replace this dead one. The roots of this plant grow from the branches downward, into the soil, and eventually form tree branches. Lastly, strangler figs can grow from 50 to 60 feet tall! http://www.ehow.com/facts_5594292_strangler-fig-tree.html http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantab/acaciaxanth.htm Extreme temperatures:
The coldest the temperature get is about 6 degrees Celsius (or about 43 degrees Fahrenheit).
The hottest the temperatures rise is about 32 degrees Celsius (or about 90 degrees Fahrenheit). http://www.ranwild.org/Phalaenopsis/module/introduction/intro1/Eenvironhead.html