Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Canada in the 1950's
Transcript of Canada in the 1950's
- During the depression men and women were unable to have children,
- The economy boost after the war made it possible for families to have children
- 3 - 4 children per family
- 6.7 million born between 1946 - 1961 Suburbia - Age of suburbia
- small residential area's just on the outsides of town's and cities
- Every community could be considered as its own little town
- became the new "glamorous" country side Basic suburbia in the 1950's in Canada. The Automobile - Canadian's fell in love with the automobile in the 1950's
- 3.5 million bought by Canadian's
- Fancy, fancy, fancy!
- Drive-in restaurants with "car-hop" waitresses
- Drive-in movie's became a regular family outing
- Seat belts and "one for the road"? Teenagers - Distinct group of society
- "Greaser" boys and "Girly" girls
- Music influenced teenagers "It was music that was made for teenagers and scared the hell out of adults; it was taboo-shattering music about–gasp–sex and racial commingling. That's why records were burned, censorship laws were passed, and some lives were ruined. Because this was the Devil's music, and it was threatening the status quo. But you couldn't stop anything this real. It hit you where you lived. It belonged to the kids and only the kids. It set them apart. It gave them something to believe in. Rock'n' roll was their joy. It was their freedom. It is still so today." - Micheal Ventura; teenager of the 50's Music - Music influenced teenagers in rebellion
- The decade of Rock'n' roll
- Advantage of having music more places than usual
- Racial controversy
-Elvis Presley Elvis Presley's famous hip thrust which was banned on many television stations for being too suggestive. Television - As popular as the automobile
- Family Time
- TV dinners
- From the radio to the tv
- Howdy Doody Dandy, Roy Rogers, Lassie, The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and I Love Lucy Drive in restaurant's were extremely popular Drive in movie theaters became very popular as well 'It's only music. In a lot of papers, they say that rock 'n' roll is a big influence on juvenile delinquency. I don't think that it is. I don't see how music has anything to do with it at all....I've been blamed for just about everything wrong in this country'. - Elvis Presley The 1950's shaped Canada liberally and industrially, with the new freedom of music and the ability to have fancy cars and new TV's, it showed Canadian's that even after a war, we are still able to come out as a strong country. Drive-In Theater. <http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Drive-InTheater> January 10, 2013. Elvis Presley "Hound Dog" on The Ed Sullivan Show. May 15, 2012. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOvUdZgl7vo> January 10, 2013. Elvis Presley: The Ed Sullivan Show: 1956-1957. <http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pictures1956_1957_elvis_ed_sullivan_show.html> January 10, 2013. Flickeriver. <http://www.flickriver.com/photos/78469770@N00/tags/diner/> January 10, 2013. Matheison, Lindsay. Teenagers’ lives changed throughout the century. <http://www.snn-rdr.ca/snn/old/dec99/dec99/teens.html> January 8, 2013. Music Played in the 1950‘s. <http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/50smusic.html> January 10, 2013. Powers, Richard. The Life of a 1950‘s Teenager. <http://socialdance.stanford.edu/syllabi/fifties.htm> January 10, 2013 Suburbia. 2012. <http://canadainthepostwarperiodd2p5.wikispaces.com/Suburbia> January 8, 2013. Teddy Boys. <http://raycheesemester2.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/teddy-boys/> January 10, 2013. The Growth of the Suburbs. <http://ushistory1950.weebly.com/the-growth-of-suburbs.html> January 8, 2013. Zuoda Images. <http://www.zuoda.net/search.aspx?q=buick&offset=150> January 9, 2013. Powers, Richard. The Life of a 1950‘s Teenager. <http://socialdance.stanford.edu/syllabi/fifties.htm> January 10, 2013. Poodle ankle skirts, white socks and penny loafers.