Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Suchaya Stanyasuwanon 10 April 2014
Transcript of Tulane University
How to Write a Successful NIH Career Development Award (K Award)
Mark H. Roltsch, Ph.D.
Office of Academic Research and Sponsored Projects
Two 30 minute presentations
K Award Mechanism
Identify the several most likely Institutes for funding based on your specialty/scientific interests
- See what Institute staff attend the same meetings you do
Mentored Career Awards
- Choosing the right mechanism
- Become very familiar with PA …
know the application requirements and review criteria …
- What are your Career Goals?
Process-Part 1(6 months before deadline)
The PA“What it says …. How to use it”
PA = PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT
The Process-Part 2(4-6 months before deadline)
The Process – Part 3(3-4 months before deadline)
Process-Part 4 (The “other” sections)
- Lack of well thought out research or training plans
- Mentor: off-site location, unengaged
Review Criteria for NIH
K Kiosk - Information about NIH Career Development Awards
Google - K Kiosk
Read the PA
- When should you consider applying?
(apply after 1-1.5 years in a mentor’s lab
to allow for familiarity with project and
generate preliminary data)
- Assess level of productivity to date
- Which funding mechanism is most appropriate?
- Make a checklist with milestones (e.g. form advisory committee, contact references for letters, drafts of different sections, budgets, GCO paperwork, etc.)
- Allow 4-6 months to prepare the application
-When do you call a Program Officer?
- Weak or absent hypothesis
- Weak institutional support
- Weak publication history, inexperienced PI
- Lack of knowledge of published relevant work
- Unrealistically large amount of work
- Uncertainty concerning future career directions
- Poor presentation (figures too small, writing errors)
Determine the best mechanism
Determine the Institute
- How to determine the correct Institute
- Application Process
- Helpful Hints
- Common Problems
- See who funds your mentor’s research
- See what Institutes are issuing PAs in your area