Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
8 Stages of the Rwandan Genocide
Transcript of 8 Stages of the Rwandan Genocide
April 7, 1994 through July 15, 1994
- The Tutsis were being killed by the Hutus
- The Tutsis were considered natural rulers by the Belgium colonists
- The Hutus were a group of Bantu speaking people that made up the majority of the Rwandan population
- The Tutsis were put into a position of power and authority
- The Tutsis were considered better because they looked more like the Europeans
- There was no specific symbolization in the Rwandan Genocide
- The Hutus used the characteristics of the Tutsis to distinguish them from others
-Tutsi people tend to be taller and have lighter skin than Hutus
- Every Rwandan was given an identity card that says your name, age, and ethnicity
- Tutsis were referred to as trees, snakes, and cockroaches
- These names were given to make the Hutus feel as if there is a reason to kill them
- There were radio stations that were created simply to express hate towards the 'cockroaches'
- Tutsis were denied higher educations and positions in government
- The majority of the organization was done by the "hate radios"
- The radios spread the word about the Tutsis and how they needed to be eliminated because they held a position of power
- Hutus set up road blocks were anyone identified as a Tutsi would be killed on the spot
- Radio stations would spread the word as to were the Tutsis were located
- This is one of the biggest signs of terrorism in all of the Rwandan Genocide
- Due to the T.V stations, radios, reporters, and people on the streets it was as if the Tutsis were invisible
- The Hutu wanted to kill all Tutsi people no matter what gender or age
- Hospitals, schools, and stadiums were targeted
- Soldiers, officials, and politicians bribed people to kill the Tutsis for them
- Like many of the other stages, the hate radio was one major help
- The radio stations forced the people hear where the Tutsis were and why they needed to be eliminated, this only grew the hate towards the Tutsi people
-Tutsis were killed with grenades, bats, and machetes
-500,000- 1,000,000 people were killed
-The Tutsi people dieing were most likely being killed by people they knew
-Tutsi's were given the option of buying a bullet so they could be shot to death instead of tortured a much quicker and less painful option
- Instead of a genocide it was referred to as a civil war
- After the 100 day genocide about 2 million Hutus fled to neighboring countries to avoid punishment
-Council members refused to classify the mass killing as a genocide
- Corpses in the streets were covered with banana leaves to hide them from pictures by photographers in the air.
-"GENOCIDE - RWANDA." GENOCIDE - RWANDA. Peace Pledge Union Information, n.d. Web. 14 Dec. 2013. <http://www.ppu.org.uk/genocide/g_rwanda1.html>.
-"History of the Genocide in Rwanda." History of the Genocide in Rwanda. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Dec. 2013. <http://www.trincoll.edu/~thyde2/rwanda_history.htm>.
-"Rwandan Genocide." World Without Genocide. William Mitchell College of Law, 2012. Web. 14 Dec. 2013. <http://worldwithoutgenocide.org/genocides-and-conflicts/rwandan-genocide>.
-"8 Stages of Genocide in Rwanda." Justinp928. N.p., 11 Feb. 2013. Web. 15 Dec. 2013. <http://justinp928.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/8-stages-of-genocide-in-rwanda/>.
By Lauren Gervais