Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Glaucoma
What is Glaucoma?
Condition that causes damage to the optic nerve; it's associated w/ buildup of pressure in the eye
Less common causes
Eye see you
Fluid, called aqueous humor(gelatinous fluid similar to plasma, containing low-protein concentrations) flow out the eye through a mesh-like channel. If build-up continues, Glaucoma occurs.
Severe eye infection and blockage of blood vessels in the eye are also causes
Who's safe? Who isn't?
African-American, Irish, Russian, Scandinavian, Japanese, Hispanic, or Intuit
Family History of Glaucoma
Poor steroid meds, such as prednisone
Daily Challenges :(
patients with glaucoma are at a much higher risk of falls. The more severe the disease is, the greater the patient is at risk of falling.
• Patients with glaucoma have, as a result of impaired vision, problems with driving (putting them at greater risk of an accident, thus serving as a safety hazard to both the patient and other drivers), walking, and reading.
• Millions of people suffer from glaucoma around the world, and millions more are believed to have gone blind from the condition.
• Many people with glaucoma experience psychological and emotional problems, especially those with advanced and more severe cases of the condition. Shock, denial, grief, anger, and depression are common feelings associated with patients who develop severe vision impairment.
In closed angle glaucoma, the iris bulges forward and causes a physical blockage of the drainage channel (called the trabecular meshwork) on the cornea. This also causes an accumulation of aqueous humor in the eye ball but can take place at different paces. Acute angle closure glaucoma is an exceptionally fast buildup of fluid in the eye while chronic angle closure glaucoma is the gradual buildup of fluid in the eye.
In open-angle glaucoma, gradual loss of peripheral vision and, in more advanced stages, tunnel vision can occur.In this type of glaucoma, the drainage angle between the iris and the cornea remains the same however; the drainage channels are obstructed themselves.
Treatment of Open-Angle Glaucoma
primary methods of treating open angle glaucoma.
either increase flow to the drainage channels of the eye or mitigate production of aqueous fluid in the eye.
Treating closed angle glaucoma
-hole is made in the trabecular meshwork
No cure, sorry.... :(
On the flip side, continual treatment of the condition can slow its effects to the extent that the patient may live his or her life with the ability of sight. :)