Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Business
Petros Kandakhchyan Digging A Little Deeper into
•A sustainable agricultural company.
•Produces more crop using less land, water & pesticide. Delivering high yield products.
•Improving plant stands from the time the plant comes out of the ground.
•Delivering high yielding conventional and biotech seeds.
•Using advanced traits and technologies that enable more nutritious and durable crop.
•Delivering safe and effective crop protection. History What is Monsanto? Newest Technology Known as "Terminator Technology."
greatest threat to humanity
Used on a large-scale basis
Lead to scarcity and starvation on a worldwide basis.
Seeds have been genetically-engineered
This forces farmers to pay Monsanto every year for new seeds if they want to grow their crops. Less Rich Countries People rely heavily on small farms which produce foods for the region.
poor farmers grow 15 to 20% of the world's food
directly feed at least 1.4 billion people
depend on saved seeds for following years
Cannot afford to buy new genetically engineered seeds from Monsanto the following year
Food from other regions?
Contamination Spreading Like WildFire Getting passed on to other crops
All it takes is one seed
Health and Environment
Around the world
L.A. population 3,819,702
California population 37,691,912
United States Population 311,591,917 Corruption in Countries •Argentina
-Approval led to decrease in production
-Made 150,000 small farmers leave the country side
-Approve but sued for overturn approval
-Monsanto sued for other gm products
-Donation from Monsanto raised concerns
-Some seeds were coated with toxic fungicides
-GM cotton seed put farmers in severe debt
-Terminator genes were in the seeds Monsanto of 2012
Drought Tolerant Cotton
Research Different Cottons
Help farmers buy right cotton
No To Prop 37
Stop of labeling genetic material in specified way
Donates millions to supporters of anti-labeling
Lined up behind Monsanto are DuPont, BASF, Bayer, and Dow •Debt
-Farmers that cannot provide Monsanto’s cut had to pay the difference
-GM Bt cotton seed are high in price causing farmers more in debt
-Terminator seeds cause more debt due to sterilization
-Farmers commit suicide due to debt or lack of living
-Farmers starve due to lack of products and resources
-Child Labor is pushed more due to debt or lack of resources Corruption Actions
• 1901 company founded. By John Queeny a veteran of the pharmaceutical company, named after his wife’s maiden name.
• 1st product Saccharin sold to coca cola
• 1919 produced Vanillin, Asprin, Sulfuric acid, PCB
• 1946 produced ‘ALL” laundry detergent
• 1957 operated the manhattan project, made nuclear weapons
• 1968 mass produced LED lights.
• 1982 first to engineer a genetically modified plant
• 1996 Patented Transgenetic Varities of Cotton, Soybean,Peanuts and other crops.
• 2000 Monsanto starts a new beginning.
• 2001 patented TERMINATOR SEED, but has yet to mass sell them.
• Most famous brand known to us “ Round up”.
• And “Round up safe seeds”.
• Revenue 11.8 billion
• Employees 20K Here are some of the crops Monsanto invests in .
Major clients Third world countries.
•Monsanto doesn’t label their food as Genetically Modified to make more profit
•Monsanto Sue small family farmers for not using their product
•Monsanto dumped toxic waste and millions of pounds of industrial coolants known as PCB into oozing open-pit landfills for decades.
•Monsanto’s Genetically Modified seeds pushing US agriculture into bankruptcy
•Cotton Farmers are going bankrupt because of Monsanto’s GE cotton Unethical Ways of Doing Business
•Michael Taylor former Monsanto Vice President, is now the FDA Deputy Commissioner for Foods
•Margaret Miller former Monsanto Chemical Lab Supervisor, now is the Deputy Director of FDA and HFS
•Hilary Clinton former Monsanto lobbyist, is a US Senator and Secretary of State
•Monsanto has spent over 6 million in 2011 for lobbying
•Monsanto has contributed over 4 million dollars this year to oppose the passage of California Proposition 37 Monsanto's Government Ties