Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Project GLAD® - Teacher Professional Development for Buildin
Transcript of Project GLAD® - Teacher Professional Development for Buildin
History of Project GLAD®
Fountain Valley School District, CA
Marcia Brechtel and Linnea Haley (creators)
• Copyrighted and adminstered by the Orange County Dept. of Ed.
• Declared exemplary by California State Department of Education (1991)
Designated Academic Excellence Project by the Office of Bilingual Education and Minority Language Affairs (1991)
Created, field tested, taught and marketed by teachers
Education Northwest: http://projectgladstudy.educationnorthwest.org
2011-2013 Experimental Study: Idaho, 5th Grade
Research behind Project GLAD
6 Instructional Component Areas of
Demonstration - Reptiles Unit, 1st grade
- Allows students to interact and own both the content knowledge, skills and language needed to show what they know and can do in first formative then summative assessments!
Primary Language and Culture:
Additive vs. Subtractive Bilingualism
Strategies to Support culturally competent instruction
Alma Flor Ada:
Virginia Collier and Wayne Thomas: the
Power of Dual Language Education
Lev Vgotsky - language develops from social interaction
Paulo Freire - Participatory -Interactive/experiential/critical approaches
Jim Cummins - Common Underlying Proficiency
Spencer Kagan - Cooperative Learning - active engagement
Art Costa: Metacognition
Susan Kovalik: Patterning and Connected Learning
Pat Wolfe: Triune Brain; Thinking Maps
Howard Gardner: Multiple Intelligences
Gabriele Rico: Right/Left Brain
Project GLAD® is
a program or curriculum.
Project GLAD® is...
... a rigorous professional development model.
... a collection of research-based, effective instructional strategies.
approach that supports
academic language acquisition
proficiency in grade level content standards
in a classroom
culture of inclusivity and accountability
Provides access to content knowledge while
Project GLAD® Big Ideas
8 Components of Sheltering (
1. Focus on Language
2. Plan for Peer Interaction
3. Support Meaning with Realia
4. Activate Prior Knowledge/Create Shared Knowledge
5. Make Text Accessible
6. Develop Student Learning Strategies
7. Bridge the two languages
8. Affirm Identity
Ensures student success
and is released when the
student is ready!
ELD Review with
Positive Classroom Culture
Whole Group Team Work Individual Work
Personal Behaviors - 3 Standards
Group Behavior -
T-Graph for Social Skills
Guided Language Aquisition Design
Dual Language Education of New Mexico
- Provides the support for teacher effectiveness in all 4 areas of the Danielson framework.
- Offers a framework for teacher evaluation and school improvement.