Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Phenomenology of Racial Embodiment
Transcript of Phenomenology of Racial Embodiment
Is RACE really REAL?
How is the ALTERITY of the OTHER concretely experienced?
contemporary confusions about race
(1) racial classification [like mapmaking) as a means to create order & intelligibility in a suddenly enlarged world with increased diversity >>> first period of European conquest
(2) juxtaposition of these classification practices with an emerging liberal ideology espousing universalism
Visible differences to classify human types; yet these visible differences threatens LIBERAL UNIVERSALISTIC concepts of JUSTICE based on SAMENESS
Differences enclosed within TAXONOMY organised by a single logic (eg. IQ TESTS)
>>> Differences of KIND transformed into Differences of DEGREE
Ranking differences = works to nullify relativism & protect universalism
Critical race theory: largely dismantled naturalistic classification systems that reify human variability into moral categories & Eurocentric teleologies that justified colonialism
Realm of the (what is taken as self-evidently) VISIBLE = recognized as product of specific form of perceptual practice rather than the natural result of human sight
Anti-essentialism: visible difference NOT 'sign' of more fundamental difference
EROSION of RACIAL HIERARCHIES