Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Political Rivalry Between The Ottomans & Safavids Intensifie
Transcript of Political Rivalry Between The Ottomans & Safavids Intensifie
Ottomans and Safavids fought over territorial and religious differences.
Holy War was declared against Safavids by Ottoman sultan, Selim I, in 1514
Safavids forced Sunni Iranians to convert Shi'a. If they did not, they would be killed.
"Epic World History."
: Ottoman-Safavid Wars. Web. 25 Jan. 2016.
Image by goodtextures: http://fav.me/d2he3r8
Ottoman Empire were Sunni Muslims and the Safavids were Shi'a.
Religious disputes were similar to those of some Catholic and Protestant powers in Europe
Neither the Ottomans nor the Safavids were able to defeat the other.
Both remained enemies.
Sunni majority of Iran was forced to convert to Shi'a after Safavids were defeated at the Battle of Chaldiran
"Two Turkish Empires: The Ottoman Sunni Turks vs. Safavid Shia Turks."
SONS OF SUNNAH. 2011. Web. 25 Jan. 2016.