Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Red Hair
What Causes Red Hair?
Well obviously it is all in work of the genes. The gene that produces the red hair is called the MC1R gene. Red hair is produced when the MC1R gene has several mutants in it. However, there are three types of melanin that cause red hair as well; pheomelanin, neuromelanin, and eumelanin.
For my Genius hour project I'm doing Red hair genetics, early history, some fun facts and it's future! Did you know that only 1-2% of the human population has red hair. Out of that percentage most are Irish or Scottish. Red hair is considered a genetic mutant. Meaning all the gingers out there are pretty lucky.
What will happen to Red hair in the future? When will it happen?
By the year of 2005, people started a rumor that red hair is going to be extinct in 100 years. Red hair is eventually going to become extinct.
However there is no possibility of red hair extinction until the year of 2060.
Why Will Red Hair become extinct?
Red hair will become extinct because eventually the recessive red hair gene will vanquish, or people with the gene will fail to reproduce. Since this gene is global whether or not you have the red hair, it will stay long enough but will eventually start to become rarer by year.
How might have Red Hair been originated?
Red hair is known to be first seen approximately 25000 years ago. The Neanderthals inherited red hair. The Neanderthals lived during the Ice Age period. They lived at Caspian Sea which is now Central Asia. The mutation is believed to be passed from a Neanderthal to a person from the R1 tribe.
Here's a video to sum everything up...
- At seniors, gingers become blond then white instead of grey
Interesting Facts about red hair:
- In old age, gingers develop blond hair which slowly transforms into white hair unlike others who immediately develop grey hair.
- Red heads get more sunburns and paler skin than the average person.
-Gingers have a greater chance than others of being diagnosed with skin cancer.
In Conclusion, my genius hour
project was successful. I was able to find
research about my main component of focus being the history, future, and other facts about red hair. Hope you enjoyed it.
1. Silverman, J., (2007, 11 09),
re redheads going extinct?
, Retrieved from http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/genetic/redhead-extinction.htm
3. Hiskey, D., (2010, 03 26),
What causes red hair?,
Retrieved from http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/03/what-causes-red-hair/
- Red heads have a higher tolerance level for pain.
4. Arnold, P., (2009, 04 09),
The genetics of red hai
, Retrieved from http://www.brighthub.com/science/genetics/articles/4704.aspx
5. Random Facts, (2010, 10 31).
Gingers and titians 38 red hair and redhead facts.
, Retrieved from http://facts.randomhistory.com/redhead-facts.html
6. Limonseader, (Producer) (2008, 01 29),
Rte news red heads becoming extinct.
, Youtube, [Video podcast], Retrieved from http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti-dPYXkybw
2. Eupedia Forum, (2004),
The genetic causes, ethnic origins, and history of red hair
, Retrieved from http://www.eupedia.com/genetics/origins_of_red_hair.shtml
* Please pardon the italicizing in my bibliography which is recognized in a light red due to the fact it cannot be italicized on prezi.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Red hair is known to be first seen approximately 25000 years ago. The Neanderthals inherited red hair. The Neanderthals lived during the Ice Age era. They lived at Caspian Sea which is now Central Asia. The mutation is believed to be passed from a Neanderthal to a person from the R1 tribe.
How was Red Hair first originated?