Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
William Lu: Contemporary Dancer and Choreographer
Transcript of William Lu: Contemporary Dancer and Choreographer
1. Broken the gender-dominated background
2. Maintained ballet as a contemporary dancer.
3. Inspired by basic movements (jumping) and
4. Supports the use of improvisation. Bibliography William Lü: Contemporary Dancer and Choreographer Innovative use of movement Has overcome obstacles to pursue his dreams Brings a fresh prespective and originality Why William?? Childhood
Born: April 21, 1978 in Taiwan
Family: Mother, Father and a Sister
Obsession with flying-200 chicken wings and superman costumes
Father's disapproval-getting grounded
Martial arts and swimming
Chapman University in O.C. California
-originally studied film as an undergraduate
-had a passion for the arts
-casually took a dance class, the flying feeling :)
Audition for Student Choreography Show
-makes the audition and gets attention from dance department!
A year later, offered a scholarship if he switched majors-HE SAID YES!! What Inspires Him to Dance??
1. Inherited love for the arts.
-mother as a painter and actress.
2. Film left him feeling unsatisfied.
-felt he himself should be the art.
3. Troubled past
-father was physically/mentally abusive.
-dance was therapy.
-fostered "renewed human interraction" and led to "self-discovery and higher self-esteem".
William Lü Style
Ballet and Modern dance most influential
Improvisation=imperative for dance curriculum
-"help dancers understand their bodies"
-refreshes stage technique
- use of drama: "Jolly Lolly Holiday"
- combines modern dance, post-modern dance and ballet
-alot of jumps and acrobatics
-use of spirals: Graham technique
-movement often in the air, childhood obsession with flying
makes "light" movement
-group work, pairs, solos
-big, externalized movement In the Classroom...
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance (2002)
Teachers and Textbooks:
Modern-Doug Varone, Jennifer Backhaus
Tap-Brandee Williams, Donna Cucunato
Hip-Hop-Kari Jensen, Time Stevenson
Teaching and Awards
Resident falculty-Saddleback Dance Center
Substitute Instructor, modern & jazz-Chapman University
Recieved the Engman Award-Dance Under the Stars Choreography festival
Best Choreography Award-Chapman University
1. "Earrach"-Springtime (2008)
2. "Jolly Lolly Holiday" (2001) What Now??
Projects in the Works
-wants to capture dance on film
-has choreographed several new dances
-dances choreographed and performed in random places
-have to follow clues on Twitter to find out where dances are going to be performed
Moving to the Netherlands in the fall-BIG center for dance Lights, Camera, Action!!!
Backhausdance, perf. Jolly Lolly Holiday. By Chor. William Lü. Youtube. puck44, n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2010. http://www.youtube.com/user/puck44#p/a/u/0/tOcBfJj9tTQ.
Backhausdance, perf. "William Bio." Backhausdance. Backhausdance, 2009. Web. 1 May 2010. http://www.backhausdance.org/william-bio/.
Lü, William, perf. "Bio." William Lü - Dancer, Choreographer, Instructor. N.p., 7 July 2005. Web. 2 May 2010. http://www.wldance.com/website/bio.htm.
Lü, William. Brief Resume. N.d. William Lu - dancer, choreographer, instructor. Web. 20 Apr. 2010. http://www.wldance.com/website/resume.htm.
Lü, William. "C.V. (teaching/ choreographing)." N.d. William Lu -dancer, choreographer, instructor.
Web. 20 Apr. 2010. http://www.wldance.com/website/resume.htm.
Lü, William, chor. Earrach. By Comp. Alasdair Fraser. Perf. Hannah Schiller. Youtube. N.p., 2008. Web. 2 May 2010. http://www.wldance.com/website/earrach.htm.
Lü, William, chor. Red Autumn. By comp. Fred Hersch. Perf. Tawny Chapman. McCallum Theater, Palm Desert. 3 Sept. 2003. Performance. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=968527
Lü, William. Telephone interview. 21 Apr. 2010.