Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


Mars: the Red Planet

with Symantha Weaver

Emma Beach

on 1 May 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Mars: the Red Planet

MARS The Red Planet NASA, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, has done research on the idea of life on Mars as well as its surface area, mass, surface, atmosphere, distance from the Earth, and distance from the Sun. Many expeditions, although lacking actual people on board, were sent to Mars, such as Mars Exploration Rover, Mars Global Surveyor, Mars Odyssey, Mars Pathfinder and more. Scientists know the more about Mars than any other planet in our solar system except Earth.
The month March was named after Mars.
Mars symbol is a shield and spear because it was named after the Roman god of war, Mars.
With the lack of ozone in the atmosphere of Mars, the sunrise brings a deadly radiation level to the surface. atmosphere Mars' atmosphere is made up of 95 percent carbon dioxide, 3 percent nitrogen, 1.6 percent argon, and has a little of oxygen, carbon monoxide, water and methane. This atmosphere is not suitable for living things. climate Mars Mars vs. Earth What to Pack Research Done By NASA Unique Features Distance from the Sun and Earth Since the Earth and Mars do not orbit at the same rate, their distances from each other vary. The average distance from Earth to mars is 225 million kilometers. The most it can be is 401 million kilometers and the least is 54.6 million kilometers. Surfaces Earth Mars size Moons Earth's moon Mars moons compairsons Mars' surface is made of basalt with a little bit of iron oxide to made it reddish and have a consistency similar to that of talcum powder. It is dry, barren, and lacks tectonic plates. Mars is covered in old volcanoes and craters. Millions and millions of years ago, Mars actually did have active volcanoes, and one volcano could continue to erupt for millions of years without stopping because of the lack of tectonic plates. The craters do not erode away due to the lack of wind, rain and plate tectonics, the things we have on Earth that erode away our mountains and such. Earth is made up of 70% water, Pacific Ocean, Indian ocean, Atlantic ocean, Southern ocean, Arctic ocean, and the world's lakes, rivers, etc. The remaining 30% of the earths surface is covered with the seven continents. Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, and Europe. Earths surface is made up of constantly moving tectonic plates forming new mountains and volcano constantly. Mars' total surface area is 28 percent of Earth's surface area
Mars is about 1/2 the size of Earth
Mars has a diameter of 4,222 miles
Earth has a diameter of 7,962
Mars' gravity less than 40 percent of the of Earth's gravity diameter of 3,476 kilometers, which is 27 percent of Earth's
volume of 121,990,000,000 kilometers cubed
covered in dark gray minerals
less gravity than the Earth Mars has two known moons, Phobos and Deimos, which are thought to be captured asteroids. Both of the moons were discovered in 1877 by Asaph Hall. It is possible that other moons exist but have not been discovered. These two moons are lumpy and covered in craters. Phobos Deimos Mars Earth Earth atmosphere is made up of 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen, 1 percent argon, and very small traces of other gases such as carbon dioxide, helium, and carbon monoxide. This atmosphere is the only known planet to to be able to sustain life Mars weather is more predictable than Earth's. Mars can form cloud with small particles that are spread around in dust storms. Temperature was recorded on Mars to have been at most 81 degrees Fahrenheit and at least -225 degrees Fahrenheit. Earth has weather that is predictable but not as predictable as that of Mars. It has clouds that are made of water vapor and small debris particles. Temperature has been recorded of having extremes of -128.6 degrees Fahrenheit and 134.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Earth The distance from Mars to the sun 227.9 million kilometers. a space suit
oxygen tank with 16+ months worth of oxygen
16+ months worth of food and water
something to occupy yourselves with.
a rocket ship
a camera Created by: Symantha Weaver and Emma Beach hi
Full transcript