Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Battle of Leningrad
Transcript of Battle of Leningrad
Leningrad quickly and by force, as Hitler had done successfully in Poland and
However, due to stronger than expected resistance, they did not manage to
Instead, von Leeb decided to besiege the city
Together with Finnish forces, they encircled Leningrad.
Leningrad was a major Russian city and therfore one that Hitler considered important. The reasons for this were many. However, a few are:
It was a previous capital city of Russia so was therefore a symbol of Russian pride.
It was an important military base, so once taken would give Hitler and the Nazis more power. Leningrad was one of three major Russian cities that Hitler was focussing on.
He codenamed the operation of taking them Operation Barbarossa. This is a photograph of Soviet troops defending Leningrad, the reason why it took so long (3 years) for the Nazis to take it.